The Bible and Culture

The Bible and Culture

Robert Crumb’s Genesis

posted by Ben Witherington

crumbrgenesisml.jpg

And now for something completely different.   The Bible as graphic novel, or at least graphic comic book.  Robert Crumb is well known to underground comic book aficionados.  To the rest of the reading public– not so much. Robert Crumb was born in Philly and began his drawing career coming up with playful and witty greeting cards. He became a sort of cult figure in the 60s for creating characters like Fritz the Cat and there was even a documentary about him in 1994, but FYI, his comics were too R or even X rated in some cases for most.  For the last eighteen or so years of his life he has lived in France (and laments he still  hasn’t mastered the language) with his fellow cartoonist wife Aline Kominsky.

Now however this super-lapsed Catholic has decided to depict scenes from all 50 chapters of Genesis, with the emphasis on verbatim. Those of us who knew a bit about his snarky past were holding our collective breath, but Rabbi Simcha Weinstein, author of the well-titled book Up,Up, and Oi Vey (the history of how Jews had influence on the creation of fictional super-heroes) reassures us that Crumb has not given us a crumby treatment of Genesis. Of course the literal depiction of murder, incest, rape, and a host of the other things that go on in Genesis itself is enough to curdle one’s milk and curl one’s hair.  Hide the babies and pack up the old ladies. But then alas,  the Bible is hardly a  G or PG book— it tells it like it is, even when it comes to all our human falleness.  It is thus not a surprise that in the 224 pages of this book (out today and published by W.W. Norton) some of these pen and ink drawings reflect the sensual and violent character of some of these stories.  This is a comic book my Mom would not have let me read in the 9th grade!  Indeed she would have said ‘Exodus with this Genesis’.

The kudos for this book are also coming in from other quarters— Rev. James Martin, a Jesuit priest and chronicler of pop culture thinks Crumb is successfully translating the Bible into a new medium.  And even Robert Alter (with or without his ego)  well known for his rendering of  The Five Books of Moses endorses the project.  Crumb actually based what he did in part on the translations of Alter.  For example Jacob’s ladder becomes Jacob’s ramp in Alter’s translation, and Crumb follows the latter, rather than the former, in his drawing.

In the end Crumb after long debating how to depict God (as a bright light???) fell back on the old stand by— God as the old white guy with the long white beard.  I wonder what the Mormons would say about this Genesis.,

robert-crumb-genesis.jpg

What I think is that in an age of visual learners, some of this material in Crumb’s book is user friendly for church and synagogue folk, though one has to pick and choose and be discerning. Lord knows our Sunday school and Bible study literature could use some updating of its images.  One grows weary of the Rococo Jesus, and Rubenesque cherubs.

Robert Crumb has drawn his own conclusions about Genesis– quite literally.  I’ll let you draw yours about his.

paul merrill

posted October 21, 2009 at 9:40 pm

It looks like an interesting book. I just can’t quite afford it. Plus, I think some of the images might not be appropriate for the kids in my house.

Gordon Matthews

posted October 22, 2009 at 6:00 pm

If Paul Merrill can’t afford $24.05 for a copy (the standard price of a new hardcover book), he probablt shouldn’t have kids in the house because he can’t afford them either. All of Crumb’s images are taken directly from events in Genesis, which makes me wonder if Bibles should be lying around where children can get their hands on them.

smokey

posted October 22, 2009 at 10:02 pm

As someone who did his MDiv thesis on superheroes and Christian faith, I’m very interested in this new work.
Crumb’s new work reminds me of “Eden”, a graphic novel version of the creation and fall stories Keith Griffen and Scott Hampton did a few years ago.

Mark

posted October 25, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Thanks for the review. I just read kelpie wilson’s review at Truthout.

dutch777

posted October 28, 2009 at 11:15 am

So where is that prophetic, patriarchal personality — Mr. Natural?
Dutch777

Derek McCrea

posted November 13, 2009 at 7:47 pm

The photos are pretty bad for kids. The content looks worth it as long as no kids have access to it.

By all means expose children to it

posted November 26, 2009 at 4:58 pm

That way they will grow to understand the meaning of the coming of Christ, who didn’t go around raping and busting heads.

janegrimes

posted June 16, 2010 at 3:51 pm

First time I have read but a friend suggested I read & it is awesome! Very impressive!

The John Wesley Fellows Meeting at Candler---- The Senior Fellows
The John Wesley Fellowship began in 1977, with Steve Harper and yours truly being two of the first John Wesley Fellows chosen.  I have told the story of Ed Robb and AFTE  this past Fall on the blog so I will not repeat it.   Here are some of the senior fellows attending the meeting.

posted 5:46:30am Jan. 11, 2011 | read full post »

Guns and Religion--- Enough is Quite Enough
I was sitting at the traffic light when a pickup pulled up next to me.  On the back of the cab window was a bumper sticker saying 'Guns and religion. Now more than ever.'   Then I found the picture you see above, and then this one below......   My response to this nonsense above

posted 7:05:08pm Jan. 10, 2011 | read full post »

Revival 2011--- At My Home Church in Charlotte

posted 9:58:02am Jan. 10, 2011 | read full post »

The John Wesley Fellows Meeting at Candler---- The Art of Theology
The John Wesley Fellows meeting this January was held in Atlanta at Candler School of Theology, and its Dean,  Dean Love is a collector of art for the seminary, with some 50 or so paintings now gracing the walls of their beautiful new seminary building.  The art of choice comes from a West

posted 5:30:50am Jan. 10, 2011 | read full post »

Ancient Readers and Manuscripts--- William A. Johnson's Take
  In the American world of bigger is better (and more erudite) it is refreshing to find a smallish book  (207 pages of text, including some pictures)  that makes its points in detail with full primary source documentation and then resists the tendency to be verbose or erudite for all

posted 9:30:59am Jan. 07, 2011 | read full post »