Fresh Living

Fresh Living

In Memory of My Fascinating Grandmother

posted by hrossi

Scan10007.JPGMy grandmother Gaga died this weekend–on a Saturday, in fact, just like her husband my grandfather did 13 years ago, and her son my uncle did 2 years ago.  A literary touch, perfect for a larger-than-life woman.

What can any of us ever say to summarize a complex, meaningful, influential life–in her case, a breathtakingly long and full one that lasted just a month shy of 95 years?

If I had to summarize my grandmother in one word, it would be “fascinating.”  She never went skydiving or spelunking or anything else that would signify “fascinating” in the big boffo-socko sense, but to me her very being was fascinating.

Just look at her picture – the drape of her skirt, the sparkle in her eye, the ever-so-casual way she holds her sunglasses.  Isn’t this a woman who should be called “fascinating?”  All of our elders, who live in different times and places, should fascinate us, I think.  I feel like my Gaga was the fascinating-est of them all, but I hope you’re thinking of your fascinating relatives and how much impact they have on your life.

10 fascinating things about my grandmother:

1.  She was the author of two published books in the 1960s. “Doctors to the Great,” was about what we can learn from the physicians of famous historical figures like Alexander the Great and Napoleon.  “Man with a Microscope” was a biography of Elie Metchnikoff, the inventor of–you guessed it–the microscope.

2.  She only gave up writing three years ago, at age 92, and at the time she was working on a historical novel set in George Washington’s Army during the Revolutionary War.  She gave the manuscript to me, and one day I hope to finish it.

3.  I don’t ever remember her baking cookies–she wasn’t that kind of grandmother–but I do remember her making osso bucco stew.  She wore a special hat when she made it, which she thereafter referred to as her “osso bucco hat.”

4.  Her fashion signature was blood-red lipstick.  She once told me she considered it her “red badge of courage,” a symbol of pride and defiance.  She saw my love of home-grown tomatoes–deep, red ones–as that same trait manifesting in me.

5.  During World War II, she worked in New York City for the Office of War Information.  She wrote articles about arts and culture at home and abroad, to be distributed as part of the OWI’s war news publications.  The juxtaposition of art and war always, well, fascinated me.

6.  She was the model of politeness and good manners, except when anyone gave her family a hard time.  I remember her having words with a woman at the condo complex she lived at in Delray Beach, Florida.  As the woman berated me for wearing my hair in braids instead of a bathing cap in the pool, I believe the words, “lay off her, you old bag” passed Gaga’s lips at one point.  I felt like a superhero had come to my rescue.

7.  She traveled to practically every country in the world, though her one regret is that she never visited the Taj Mahal in India.  She and my grandfather took me on my first trip to Europe when I was 10 years old.

8.  How many kids can truthfully say this sentence: “I learned the story of Jesus from my Jewish grandmother.”  On our European trip, she and I sat on a bench outside St. Paul’s cathedral in London and she told me all about John the Baptist and the dancer Salome, the virgin Mary and Mary Magdalene, Jesus’ birth, crucifixion, and resurrection.  It was such a rich story that I not only enjoyed all the paintings we were seeing all the more, I went on to major in religious studies in college.

9.  She used to take my long hair and make it into a mustache on my young face.  “You must pay the rent!” she’d snarl in her best Snidley Whiplash.  She’d take the hair away: “I won’t pay the rent!” she’d squeal in perfect Sarah Bernhardt pitch.  I still giggle thinking about the laughs we shared over that simple bit.

10.  If she had ever gone on Jeopardy, she totally would have won.

Did you have fascinating grandparents?  Stories welcome.  Meanwhile, R.I.P. to the one and only Gaga.

Lisa

posted June 29, 2009 at 2:59 pm

My grandmother rode a Harley back in the day that “ladies” didn’t ride motorcycles. But at her funeral in 1992, directly following my high school graduation, we girls wore black hats, diamonds, or pearls in reference to the very certain “lady” she was in our eyes.
RIP Gaga. Say hi to Majorie for me. I’m sure you’ll be fast friends.

G.E. Ray

posted June 29, 2009 at 10:32 pm

I LOVE this article!! May your Gaga’s memory be eternal!! My yiayia was similar in some ways to your sweet Gaga! God Bless you and your family. Enjoy your precious memories. They are beautiful!

Dearest Holly,
What a beautiful tribute to GaGa. A meaningful life, a beautiful woman, and without GaGa, you wouldn’t be here. The randomness and mystery of life. May she live on in you!
Spread LOVE … not icing!
Janice

easterngirl

posted June 30, 2009 at 9:43 pm

This story goes to prove that one does not have to be a celebrity to have an impact on others and be an inspriration in their life and to others. She sounded like such a fun and strong lady. Cheers to her believing that Jesus has walked the earth already! Thats amazing and courgeous on her part. RIP Gaga, I never met you on this earth, but perhaps we will meet up above one fine day!

Your Name

posted July 1, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Hey Holly,
I didn’t get too know my grandparents at all because they died before I was born. But I have a GaGa, my Aunt Mattie. She was a real lady and she just never took any stuff from anybody. She died on April 1st, which was very ironic in her case. My Aunt loved to play jokes and on April Fool’s Day I just knew she told the doctor to tell me she had passed away. I really thought that would have be a really cruel joke but, I would have gotten over it.
She was disabled,so she required help everyday with a bath and getting dressed. She was so meticulous that you would have to wait for her to get all her jewelry on (6 rings,earrings,necklace,watch,bracelets ). I miss waiting for her.

Suzanne Baran

posted July 1, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Holly, this is such a touching and remarkable post. Your grandmother left a legacy that you carry on with your writing — by keeping hers alive in the present moment. Thank you for your words, for showing your heart — and hers.

Linda Austin

posted July 2, 2009 at 11:45 am

Your grandmother really is amazing, especially for the times she lived in. I hope you write down more of her life as a permanent remembrance of her for your family. I wrote my mother’s story of life around WWII (in Japan) and actually published it because it was so interesting. It’s a valuable keepsake for the family, well worth my time and effort. So now I encourage everyone to write down their own family memories to save for current and future generations.

Stacy Small

posted July 2, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Hi Holly,
Your tribute to your grandmother was very touching to me, especially
since I also had a fascinating grandmother whom my brother and I called
GaGa! Not a common grandma name!! Her spirit and zest for life lives
on in you. My best to you.

Stephen Bartlett

posted July 2, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Hi Holly,
Thank you for sharing. I will forever look at you differently as you enter the pool thinking of your Gaga. I was very lucky to have two amazing grandmothers. Neither quite like your Gaga but one looked amazing and had great humor and the other most amazing Italian cook and such an incredible love for her family.
So glad to have you moving in next door as we can share in the stories as you have Italian dinner with us, almost as good as my grandmothers, and we share loving family stories…we are both so lucky to have such memories.

Your Name

posted January 1, 2010 at 10:30 pm

I was doing some research on the name “gaga” and came across Holly’s memory of her amazing grandmother. My granddaughter asked me when her daughter was born who is 2 years old what I wanted to be called and I told her “gaga” I used to work with an acquaintance who used to talk about her “gaga” Since then I’ve liked the named and have adopted it for my great granddaughter. I am looking for the origins of the name or at least what it means.

joe

posted April 19, 2013 at 3:58 am

your grandma had a rockin’ body. too bad about her face, but that is the curse of your people

Fare Well, Live Fresh...and Thanks
This is the post in which we say goodbye.  We're both leaving our respective jobs at Beliefnet, and so it's time to step away from the blog.So, this is the post in which we say goodbye...by saying thank you.  Thank you to you, the readers, for clicking and visiting and sharing the myriad w

posted 12:00:45pm Jul. 02, 2010 | read full post »

Waking Up to Your Dreams (by Wendy Schuman)
Are you a frustrated dreamer? I know I am. I often wake up with fragments of scenes echoing in my mind that seem really meaningful--but then I leap out of bed, start my morning routine, and in seconds they're gone. I want to linger in that realm and tap into the guidance and insight rising from a wi

posted 2:21:32pm Jun. 24, 2010 | read full post »

Prayer for the Gulf from the 13 Grandmothers
Because I lack an engineering degree and don't understand why we can't just stop this thing NOW with a 10-ton wad of gum or giant boulder or massive Q-tip, I'll share more spiritual wisdom from elders. This is from the beautiful, amazing International Council of 13 Indigenous Grandmothers--they each

posted 10:52:38am Jun. 21, 2010 | read full post »

Fresh Morning: Worry Away the Worry
"Worry is a prayer for something you don't want." - Sharon Gannon I love that. The other day someone expressed concern about my excessive worrying habit, and I've been contemplating on it ever since. Doing my best to actually contemplate, rather than worry. I've been on a renewed Gilmore G

posted 9:14:40am Jun. 21, 2010 | read full post »

How Did You (or a Loved One) Heal from Cancer?
In addition to co-writing this blog and working at Beliefnet full-time, I'm writing a book. It's about how I got through cancer five years ago with a combination of heavy-duty Western meds and all I knew from my personal and journalistic experience of yoga, meditation, non-religious spirituality, an

posted 3:08:46pm Jun. 18, 2010 | read full post »