A government press statement issued said that the prayers--to be attended by national leaders, diplomats and the general public--would be conducted by Vice President Specioza Kazibwe.
"Evidence so far unearthed has demonstrated that large numbers of people, including children, were murdered at Kanungu and other doomsday cult locations," the statement said, adding that the body count has grown to nearly 1,000 thousand people.
At the function, Kazibwe will deliver a message of condolence from the government to console the surviving relatives and assure that the country is taking actions in pursuit of the criminal perpetrators of the tragic killings, so that those responsible are brought to trial.
On March 17, more than 530 members of the Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments of God were burnt to death. Hundreds of bodies of murdered cultists have also been exhumed and reburied by police at several locations in the region following the Kanungu incident.
So far, more than 920 people are confirmed dead, and believed to have been murdered by cult leaders.