“Life is an uphill battle. But it’s our choice whether or not we make it up the mountain. We can choose to give up or keep climbing to see the view at the top. The view is almost always worth the climb.”-Alexis Wohler. God put this saying on my heart when I was going through […]
When we have bad days, we tend to get completely overwhelmed. The first thing we often do is complain about how bad things are. Every single one of us has experienced a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day, at some point in our lives. If we haven’t had one we’re only lying to ourselves whenever we are having a hard day it’s only natural to be stressed out by the littlest things. But here are five reminders of what we should do instead of jumping into complaining.
- Read scripture. I know, you’re looking at this sentence like “Oh my gosh. I have a bad day and the first thing you want me to do is read scripture? Why?” Reading scripture helps anyone through tough times. Especially reading passages about what your day is like. As an example- if you’re angry about the way someone treated you then read verses about overcoming anger, or verses about how to pray when your angry or how to speak when you’re angry. Or if you’re anxious about something read verses about overcoming anxiety. If you’re fearing a part of your day read scripture about overcoming fear. Reading scripture not only helps you see what God is telling you. It helps you take some anger out of yourself.
- Recite your favorite Bible verses. Again, I know you’re probably thinking “why do I have to recite scripture now?” (Insert whiny voice here). When you think your day can’t get any worse, remember Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Say it out loud when your day gets tough and it feels as though it can’t get any worse. It helps to speak positive affirmations over your life.
- Ask God to help you through whatever situation you’re facing. Remember he already knows how each day of your life will play out. He loves it when you call on Him. God will give you the strength to face anything in your life. He will give you a way out of every situation and will never let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. He may push you toward deep waters but that is also a time to ask Him where he wants you in life and what he is telling you and what he wants you to do. He will work with you and for you, not only on your good days but I’m your bad days too.
- Take a deep breath. Take the time to take a deep breath and relax for a bit before moving on to the next thing you have to do. Especially if you’re overwhelmed by the last thing you have to do. Remember not everything has to be done in one day. You can only do as much as you can. You are allowed to step back and rest when you feel overwhelmed. Just do one thing at a time and remember that God gives you the time you need to rest and recharge too.
- Remember what you’re facing isn’t bigger than you. No matter how huge your situation or your problem may seem, the situation isn’t bigger than you. God gives you ways out of every situation. Even though it is an overwhelming situation it will pass and God is still with you and He is still good and He still has good things planned for your life. He doesn’t let His children fall by the wayside completely. When you start to lose your faith, pray about overcoming the obstacles in your path. Remember what God has already done for you. He brought you through bad days before and He will certainly do it again. Remember you are a warrior in Christ and through Christ’s strength within you.
This isn’t your whole story. Your full story has yet to be played out by both you and the Lord. So, whenever you think “Oh man this is it for me, I’m done” because of a bad day, no it’s not. God isn’t done with you yet. He won’t let you go through more than you can handle without giving you a way out of it too.
Even though everyone hates this casual saying, I’ll say it anyway. Everything will be okay. Even though it may seem like you’re in the valley now, His joy will come again and full your heart. No matter what you’re going through, remember that God gives His toughest battles to His strongest soldiers. Remember how God got your through nasty days before and that He will do it again. One day you’ll look back on the day that stressed you out and probably laugh about it. Or at least look back at it as a lesson you learned. When life gets tough, show people how awesome your God is.