For the last few weeks, announcements have been made regarding some of the “stars” to be featured on the next season of Dancing with the Stars. As is the tradition, the entire cast was announced this morning on Good Morning America. Each year, DWTS seems to find one or two controversial celebrities. For this season, that distinction goes to celebrity cook, Paula Dean who nearly lost her empire due to racist comments she made a few years ago and wild card Gary Busey who makes headlines for just being himself. The two are also this season’s oldest contestants – Dean is 68 and Busey is 71. (Chaka Khan is only 62!) Season 21 will also usher in more younger dancers including actress and daughter of Steve Irwin the former “Crocodile Hunter,” Bindi Irwin (17) and internet star Hayes Grier (15).
This season’s cast includes former child stars and married couple Carlos Penavega (Big Time Rush) and Alexa Penavega (Nashville, Spy Kids) who will be competing against each other. The show tried to do this before for season eight with singer Jewel and her husband Ty Murray, but Jewel had to bow out at the last minute.
Perhaps this season’s biggest stars are singers Andy Grammer (Known for “Honey I’m Good”), Chaka Khan (Who has released 22 albums and has ten #1 Billboard songs) and former Backstreet Boy, Nick Carter.
Rounding out the cast is National Guard Specialist and American hero, Alek Skarlotos, Real Housewives of Atlanta star Kim Zolciak Biermann, singer and reality star Tamar Braxton and professional jockey, Victor Espinoza.
What you won’t see this season: Former football players, former Olympic champions, head judge Len Goodman (whose last season was season 20) and dancer Peta Murgatroyd who is undergoing orthopedic surgery.
And now, the complete cast for season 21 of Dancing with the Stars:”
- Alek Skarlatos partnered with Lindsay Arnold
- Alexa PenaVega partnered with Mark Ballas
- Andy Grammer partnered with Allison Holker
- Bindi Irwin partnered with Derek Hough
- Carlos PenaVega partnered with Witney Carson
- Chaka Khan partnered with Keo Motsepe
- Gary Busey partnered with Anna Trebunskaya
- Hayes Grier partnered with Emma Slater
- Kim Zolciak Biermann partnered with Tony Dovolani
- Nick Carter partnered with Sharna Burgess
- Paula Deen partnered with Louis van Amstel
- Tamar Braxton partnered with Valentin Chmerkovskiy
- Victor Espinoza partnered with Karina Smirnoff
Personal predictions for this season:
Gary Busy will be the worst dancer, but not the first to voted off the dance floor.
Paula Dean will make headlines again for saying something inappropriate that she didn’t mean to say.
Derk Hough will have another injury forcing him to not dance but ABC will keep him around because he is a big draw.
Dancing with the Stars premieres Monday, September 14 at 8:00 p.m. and Tuesday, September 15 at 9:00 p.m. on ABC.