Text Messages

Text Messages

The Last Text Message

posted by Patton Dodd
Today is my last day with Beliefnet, and my last day as the author of this blog. The Text Messages archives will remain live at this location, but posting will cease.
If that sounds gloomy, it’s an accurate reflection of my mind this afternoon. I’ve chosen to pursue new opportunities, but I’m not without pangs of regret. I’ve loved the conversation on this blog, loved sharing my interests with you, and most importantly, loved my tenure as an editor for Beliefnet. I’ve worked here for three years, which I’m told is an eternity in online media, but it felt like a spark. (It’s also not an eternity for Beliefnet–good people tend to stick around this place, not least because there are so many good people who work here.)
I’m tempted to link to my favorite interviews, essays, blog posts, videos and feature packages I’ve had the pleasure of developing during my time here. But I’d rather point forward. If you like this blog, I hope you’ll follow the rich conversations that are happening at Jesus Creed and The New Christians, Crunchy Con and Idol Chatter. I love Steven Waldman’s blog, too, and Therese Borchard’s, and the Blogalogue, and the entire slate of voices Beliefnet is developing. Stay tuned.
Also keep an eye on Beliefnet’s Christian channel, and the soon-to-be-transformed community site. Good stuff all around.
Me? Well, I’ve a PhD to complete, and (in related news) a book on Christianity, violence, and Hollywood. New projects abound, with fingers crossed.
I can be reached at pattondodd (at) gmail dot com.
Thanks for reading, and thanks especially to Beliefnet.

Brandon

posted February 4, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Thank you, congratulations, miss you, et al, my friend. It’s been a joy to partake in your meanderings. Hopefully, if we’re lucky, those meanderings can take place more often now over coffee or beer as opposed to cyberspace. Much love.

cas

posted February 4, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Sorry to hear this Patton, as I’ve just begun reading. I’ll have to follow you on Twitter to see where you land : ) blessings~

phalseid

posted February 5, 2009 at 8:51 am

will be looking for you!

Simon

posted February 5, 2009 at 9:16 am

Good luck!

Ian Eastman

posted February 5, 2009 at 11:16 am

Sorry to hear that you’re leaving. I have really enjoyed Text Messages and your book “My Faith So Far.” Thanks and best of luck in the future!

Nick Rogers

posted February 5, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Patton,
Best of luck with your new endeavors. I will miss not reading you posts during my lunch breaks. ~Nick

BJ

posted February 5, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Ah, I figured this post would be coming soon.
Well, I raise my glass to you Patton.
I pray that Beliefnet can find some more talented people to fill the giant hole that I’m sure will be left by your departure. … but nothing can quite replace Patton Dodd.
But Beliefnet is doing excellent things and I’m sure will continue to for many years to come.
We all look forward to what lies ahead for you.
To the future.

Chris M.

posted February 5, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Thanks so much for providing a consistently thoughtful and enlightening blog. Good luck!

Rachel P

posted February 5, 2009 at 7:18 pm

I’ll certainly miss the daily installments of thoughtful words, Patton, but I’m confident that you’ll use your time wisely and find a way to send us, your admiring fans, your good ideas from wherever you end up…. Thanks!

BrokenSp1r17

posted February 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Awww Patton; Say it ain’t so! Sad panda… T_T
In all seriousness; I wish you the best of luck and a bright future. I’ve just done a major move in my “e-life” so I know how hard it can be. Don’t be a stranger here, alright? ^_^
‚ÄúDeath is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealously. The shadow of greed, that is.” ~~Jedi Master Yoda, SW VI: RotJ

Claudia Mair Burney

posted February 7, 2009 at 6:40 am

Godspeed.

Brandon Andress

posted September 22, 2011 at 9:58 am

best of luck…

Quitting Church: A Q&A with Julia Duin
Why do people stop going to church? This big question is the subject of Julia Duin's small book, Quitting Church: Why teh Faithful are Fleeing and What To Do About It. Duin is not a disinterested observer of the phenomenon of church-dropping; rather, she's a churchgoer who wants churches to work wel

posted 4:03:51pm Feb. 03, 2009 | read full post »

Rob Stennett vs. Marilynne Robinson
I'm overjoyed that my good friend Rob Stennett has won the Award of Merit from Christianity Today for his novel The Almost True Story of Ryan Fisher. (Here's CT's review of the book.) Stennett's hilarious book is about a real estate agent who joins a suburban church in order to reach the Christian h

posted 2:36:44pm Jan. 30, 2009 | read full post »

What is spiritual restoration?
Slate asked for an essay on Ted Haggard's spiritual restoration. I'm okay with what I came up with for now, but the more I think about it, the more I think we need better thinking on what restoration looks like for very public, outspoken, influential men and women like Haggard:Most people who fail n

posted 9:00:56am Jan. 29, 2009 | read full post »

It's Not TV; it's Ted TV
A blog might not be the best medium for an essay like this. But I want to offer some more considered thoughts on Ted Haggard and his HBO documentary; I hope this performs some kind of service in a story that I hope will end--in its public iteration--very soon. This was written as a stand-alone essay

posted 3:57:44am Jan. 28, 2009 | read full post »

Q&A with Alexandra Pelosi on "The Trials of Ted Haggard"
Alexandra Pelosi is the talented filmmaker behind "The Trials of Ted Haggard"--though, as she put it in the New York Times yesterday, she prefers to be considered a maker of television, not documentaries. Fair enough, as her light, earthy, humanizing touch is just right for the small screen.It is al

posted 6:19:44pm Jan. 26, 2009 | read full post »