Last night, CNN’s William Schneider said Obama won Oregon because it’s “very well educated state.” Everyone talks as if there are two basic educational categories: high school graduates and college graduates, with the former going for Clinton and the latter for Obama.
Actually, the real battle has been over a third group – one of the largest groups — those with some college education.
In Oregon, this group was the largest category, representing 33% of the electorate. These are not people with doctorates in French literature. It includes some who are currently in college but just as important it includes those who attend community colleges and two year schools, or attended four years schools but couldn’t finish, often for economic reasons. In Oregon, Obama won these voters, 55%-45%. And when he hasn’t won these voters, he’s tended to lose the election. (In Pennsylvania, which Clinton won, the “some college” voters represented 25% of the electorate and went 53%-47% for Clinton.)
Yes, Obama has done well among the best educated and Clinton among the least educated – but Obama is winning because he has also done well among the crucial middle group.
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Steve Waldman
- Safe, Legal & Early: A New Way of Thinking About abortion
- A Modest Proposal: Conservatives Back Gay Marriage; Gays Back Covenant Marriage
- The Rick Warren Interview
- Inaugural Prayer Archive
- 2008 v. 2004 Results by Faith
- The Obama-Falsani Interview
- The Gene Robinson Interview
Best Posts That No One Read:
- Our Patriotic Holy War
- Obama's White Family and Black Church
- Science & Religion Dispatched from Cambridge
Little Known Facts:
- The Rise of Prayerism
- Deism--It's Back!
- Abortion vs. Gays: The Evangelical Age Gap
- The Spiritual Atheists
Still Cracks Me Up:
Posts That Annoy Conservatives:
Posts That Annoy Liberals:
- Thomas Jefferson: Believer in Intelligent Design?
- Obama's White House Shouldn't Vet Prayers
- Agreeing with Values Voters
- Why the Catholic Bishops Matter on Health Care
- How to Defuse the Health Care Abortion Issue
- In Defense of Bloody Aborted Fetus Photos
Posts That Annoy Everyone: