“Self Care” is one of those phrases that gets thrown around so much that we can become desensitized to it. We all know that we’re “supposed” to practice self care. And we’ve all heard the oxygen mask example in relation to self care. (How if you’re travelling with a small child and there is a problem with the airplane’s cabin pressure that you’re supposed to put on your oxygen mask first. Because if you aren’t breathing, you aren’t going to be much help to your kids.)
So we know that self care is important. We know that it’s a practice we should get into the habit of. We know that we’ll feel more whole and energized if we do it.
But what does self care look like exactly? Because we’re all so different, your idea of self care is most likely very different than mine.
I’m a huge believer in defining our vision for ourselves and our lives and then moving toward making that vision reality. With that in mind, I would love for all of us to take a few minutes right now and define what self care means to us. I would love for us to create a vision of what our life looks like when we’re taking care of ourselves each day.
I’ll share my vision here, and then I would love for you to share either all or part of your vision in the comments below!
What Self Care Looks Like for Me:
- I get plenty of restful sleep.
- I make space in my life for simply being.
- I honor wherever I am – emotionally, physically, mentally, spiritually.
- I do at least one thing every single day that’s just for me.
- I get hugs from my sweetie. And I give hugs to him and also to my cats.
- I drink a green smoothie each day.
- I take my vitamins every day.
- On sunny days, I sit outside for a few minutes and soak up the warmth.
- I wear comfortable clothes that feel good on my body.
- I light a candle each day and pull an Angel card – keeping my connection with the Divine.
- I spend time alone each day writing from my soul.
- I sing, dance, and laugh.
- I set clear boundaries, and I give myself permission to say no.
- I play games with my sweetie, especially our nightly round of Backgammon.
- I surround myself in a love bubble and make sure those inside are loving and supportive.
- I stop when I’m tired.
- I honor my need for quiet time and reflection, and I build it into my schedule.
- I am conscious of my thoughts and give energy to those that I wish to nourish.
- I do what I can and make peace with what I can’t.
- I listen to my soul, and I allow it to guide me.
Okay, now it’s your turn!
What does self care look like for you?
I would love to read your answer in the comments below.
And now that we have our clear self-care vision, we can begin making this vision reality!
Jodi Chapman is a bestselling author, an award-winning blogger, and a soulful community builder. She lives her life with love and faith in the driver’s seat, and she hopes to leave a trail of inspiration wherever she goes. She believes that we each have the ability to hear our soul’s whisper and create our best lives. She would love to connect with you!