Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

Danny Gokey Going Country; Is that A Good Thing?

posted by Joanne Brokaw

DannyGokeyIdol.jpgDespite the fact that he claimed he couldn’t say anything about which genre he’s decided on, American Idol contestant Danny Gokey told EW.com’s Michael Slezak that “it’ll be country”, adding that it’ll be marketed a new way.
Maybe it’s my constantly irritated mood this week, but puh-leeeze. There is nothing new under the sun, whether it’s a new genre or a new way to market it – unless, of course, he’s going to somehow put his music into eye glass frames ala an iPod. OK, that would be a new way to market music.
But back to the genre. I always pictured Gokey singing R&B or gospel. But country? Not so much. Then again, he does have a flair for singing a story and making us teary eyed, and that’s what country music is all about.
Either way, he’s got such a huge following that whatever he sings will sell like hot cakes.
My guess is he goes country inspo. But we’ll see soon enough!
What do you think? Is country a good genre for Danny Gokey?
RELATED POSTS:
More on Danny Gokey and his wife Sophia
American Idol archives
Click here to subscribe to Gospel Soundcheck by email and have the Gospel Soundcheck headlines delivered daily to your email inbox. And don’t forget to follow me on Twitter!

Carol Ann

posted August 28, 2009 at 3:18 pm

I just hope Danny remembers all the CCM people who voted for him and stays true to his Worship Leader background and stays on this side of music. The money may not be as good, but the influence of the music is where it’s at. I followed him through AI and always enjoyed his music…

Deenie

posted August 28, 2009 at 4:59 pm

What ever Danny sings, as long as he stays true to himself as an artist, he will be wonderful. He is such an inspiration and sings with such emotion. He has such a beautiful, soulful voice. You can just feel that he has something truly great to share. I hope that he will experience true success. As Danny has frequently said…. for him, it’s not about the money but the message. Danny, I wish you all the BEST!!

Jean

posted August 29, 2009 at 1:00 am

Danny can sing anything. He doesn’t want to do CCM he says, because he doesn’t want to exclude anyone; which is true-most of his fans don’t listen to CCM or gospel. I think for him country is a good way to stay true to his inspirational message and be cross over into pop and R&B since its just too hard for a white guy to do R&B while staying inspirational.
I will buy whatever he puts out; love his voice. As long as there’s no twang.

Jean

posted August 29, 2009 at 1:01 am

I will buy whatever he puts out; love his voice. As long as there’s no twang.

Janet Lynch

posted August 29, 2009 at 2:21 am

I wish the best for this Danny, an inspirational talent that just needs to find a way to get his music to the people. Love him and support whatever genre he chooses to begin.

orlando

posted August 29, 2009 at 8:07 am

I am a big fan of Danny Gokey ~ what a voice! And he’s the sweetest guy you ever could meet ~ always accommodating and friendly to his fans. Can’t wait to hear his album.

Kristen

posted August 29, 2009 at 12:53 pm

I have never been a fan of country, but I love Danny’s singing. He’s so emotional. I’ll listen to whatever he sings!

shasta

posted August 29, 2009 at 11:33 pm

I LOVE IT…….I ♥ Danny and I love County music, thats my Fav!
I wish him all the best, cant wait to hear him on the radio, and I will be buying his CD. Good Luck Danny!

Chrish Tiyan

posted August 30, 2009 at 3:16 am

Listen to the music of Kim Clement, a modern day prophet with a mission is to reach the unreachable and touch the untouchable through a message of hope, enrichment and the healing of haunting memories. http://kimclement.com/

richard

posted August 30, 2009 at 7:08 am

no matter what genre of music that u choose , i will always support u
oh, when will u have first album

Brittany

posted September 3, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Danny got signed to RCA/19 records Nashville

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Gospel Soundcheck page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter Happy Reading!

posted 4:04:02pm Mar. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Davy Jones dies and I say goodbye to my childhood
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hzusE4veM&feature=youtu.be] Greetings, dear Beliefnet readers! It's been a while since I posted - I'm kind of in limbo right now with entertainment writing, as I've made the move to animals and faith. You can read more on my personal blog,Notes From The

posted 7:13:01pm Feb. 29, 2012 | read full post »

The X Factor final performances - care to predict a winner?
Tonight was the final performance episode of this first season of The X Factor in the US, and what a way to end the competition. The three finalists - Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene, and Melanie Amaro - pulled out all of the stops for their final performances. First, each performed a duet with a star,

posted 9:45:43pm Dec. 21, 2011 | read full post »

Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Honest.
  Rock fans and women around the world are breathing a collective sigh of relief: Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Despite rumors of his demise, the charming rock legend is alive and well. It appears to have started with a fake blog post reporting that Bon Jovi suffered cardiac arrest. However at a

posted 8:13:10pm Dec. 19, 2011 | read full post »

The X Factor final four results: Marcus goes home
On tonight's The X Factor results show, Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik and Chris Rene went through to the next round and Marcus Canty was sent home. OK, OK, I know, I know. I 've been hard on Marcus Canty the last few weeks, so you may be thinking that I'm happy he went home tonight. I wasn't happy

posted 9:25:44pm Dec. 15, 2011 | read full post »