Photo Credit: Morguefile.com
For many of us, the biggest struggle in our life is summed up in this: lamenting over the life we wished happened versus the life that can possibly be. Too often, we find ourselves stuck living in the past and really missing out on what is happening right now and the limitless future ahead of us.
How do we remedy this? It’s simple make peace with the past. Now this is not easy as it sounds, but it will be the thing that will take you from common to great.
Here are the steps:
!. Acknowledge. It’s important to acknowledge what has happened in our past. We should make sure we cover everything that has hurt us and write it down. Moreover, acknowledge how it’s made us feel.
2. Grieve. This is a stage where we cry and process our emotions and the events that have caused us harm. It’s great to have a support system who can be your emotional support during this stage. A grief journal will be handy during this phase.
3. Prayer. Its important to stay in fellowship with God during this time. He ultimately will be the strength you’ll need to endure the process.
4. Mapping. I love mapping. Create a map of your life starting with where you are currently and begin to draw the future you desire to have
5. Accountability. Growth groups and supportive family and friend are a requirement for your success in life. Moreover, true accountability prevents you from romanticizing your past. (Something most people do). They should check in with you to make sure you are on course to greatness on a bi-weekly basis.
6. Self Encourage. At the end of all this, you’ll find you. You have to be your biggest supporter and cheerleader when others are not available. Start encouraging yourself today by telling yourself great things and what your future holds. DECLARE and DECREE it.
Remember we have the ability to not only change our world, but the world as a whole….BE GREAT!!
Until Next Time,
Pervis Taylor, III is an Author, Life Coach, Speaker and Contributor. His books Pervis Principles Volume 1 and 2 are available exclusively on his website: www.pervistaylor.com/author. He is the creator of the inspiration app, I-Inspire available for IPhones, Ipad and Ipod Touch via: http://pervistaylor.com/i-inspire/. He resides in New York City. Follow him on twitter @pervistaylor or facebook www.facebook.com/pervistaylor3.