The Angelic Helpers in 'Angels in the Outfield' (1951)
The 1994 remake has its pleasures, but I still prefer the 1951 original with Paul Douglas as the temperamental manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates and Janet Leigh as the reporter who befriends him after a little girl from an orphanage announces that she sees angels on the baseball diamond. Douglas is wonderfully appealing as he tries to learn to control his temper and finds himself falling for Leigh.
- Should Movie Audiences Text to the Screen?
- Faith/Media Fall Preview: What's ahead in movies, TV, music and books
- Back to School Guidelines for Parents on Kids and Media
- After the Ice Bucket Challenge: Two Upcoming Movies About People With ALS
- Thursdays in September on Turner Classic Movies: The Jewish Experience on Film
- Read the Full Blog