Charles in 'For Heaven's Sake' (1950)
The impeccable (if slightly fussy) Clifton Webb plays an angel, Charles, who is sent to earth on an important task. There is a special place in heaven for the souls of babies waiting to be born, and two of them are getting anxious. Their prospective parents are postponing parenthood because they are too wrapped up in themselves. Webb appears as a rancher and another kind of angel—a theatrical backer—to get them to change their minds. It is fun to see the ultra-urbane Webb trying to look like a cowpoke and the story is charming.
- Jim Breuer: Comedy Warrior + Honey, unplug the kids! How camps are helping kids (and adults) escape the electronic drug epidemic
- Women's History Month: American Masters Tribute
- Jupiter Direct: Home Is Where the Heart Is
- Premiering Tonight on Fox: Cosmos with Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- Downton Abbey Costumes on Display at Winterthur
- Read the Full Blog