From, "To Market, To Market...A Collection of Kentucky Recipes," published in cooperation with your Daily Inbox Newsletter.
- 1 cup cubed or ground country ham
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 7 Tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2-1/4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
1. In a large skillet, saute ham and green onion in 3 Tablespoons melted butter until onion is tender. Add eggs, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring to form large, soft curds.
2. When eggs are set, stir in mushrooms and cheese sauce. Spoon egg mixture into greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
3. Combine 4 Tablespoons melted butter and bread crumbs, mixing well. Spread evenly over egg mixture. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and chill overnight.
4. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
INGREDIENTS for Cheese Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
TO PREPARE Cheese Sauce:
1. Melt butter in heavy skillet over low heat. Blend in flour and cook 1 minute. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
2. Add salt, pepper, and cheese, stirring until cheese melts and mixture is smooth.
SERVINGS: 8 - 10