From "From Portland’s Palate...A Collection of Recipes from the City of Roses," published in cooperation with your Daily InBox newsletter.
- 1 (9-inch) pie shell, homemade or frozen
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, seeded, deveined and chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, seeded, deveined and chopped
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, grated
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cubed
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 cube)
- 1/2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon parsley, chopped
Place the tomatoes in a medium-size bowl and pour in enough boiling water to cover. Let stand for 8 to 10 minutes or until softened. Drain well. Chop finely.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a pie shell, layer chopped peppers, cheeses and chicken.
In a saute pan, melt butter and saute onions until soft. Whisk in flour thoroughly. Stir in half and half and simmer until thickened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Let cool.
In a large bowl, combine sour cream, eggs, nutmeg and parsley. Stir into sauteed onion mixture.
Pour filling into pie crust. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until set
HINT: May be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. May use sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and rinsed well instead of the packaged sun-dried tomatoes.