Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness (Lamentations 3:22,23). A Plain and Simple Prayer… Jesus, I woke up today and remembered that You are still on the throne. You are very much alive, still risen and victorious over death. The angels […]
The wicked are too proud to seek God.
They seem to think that God is dead.
They think, “Nothing bad will ever happen to us!
We will be free of trouble forever!”
The wicked think, “God isn’t watching us!
He has closed his eyes and won’t even see what we do!”
They think, “God will never call us to account.”
Psalm 10:4, 6, 11, 12b
This Psalm aptly describes the philosophies of atheists, pantheists, or Deists:
- God is dead.
- There are no standards of morality.
- Nothing and no one is holding us accountable.
- If there is a God, he is uninvolved in our lives.
- Nothing is bad, so, we can do whatever we please.
If we’re not careful some of this philosophy can infiltrate the believer’s belief system. Our faith can slowly ebb away, and before we know it, we are allocating certain areas of our lives (our sexuality in particular) to an atheistic philosophy that says, “God’s not really involved in this area of my life. I’ll do it because it feels right.”
Let’s be on guard against creeping atheism; we are bombarded by this philosophy everywhere we turn in our culture. All the more reason to stay in the Word daily, aligning our thoughts with the Truth.
Forgive me for my fuzzy philosophy. I repent of any creeping atheism in any arena of my life. I realign my belief system with Your Word:
- You are not dead but very much alive.
- You have standards that you have put into place not unlike the law of gravity; if I follow your ways, my life works; if I try to defy gravity, I fall.
- You indeed hold me accountable for my actions, yet you not only forgive but you also detox me from darkness when I turn from folly and turn to you.
- You are fully active in all of my affairs of life.
- Right and Wrong are built into the fiber of the universe. I choose the Right Way. I choose you!
Now, Lord, I receive your help to walk out my salvation, to lead a life that brings you joy, brings others joy, and brings myself complete joy as well.