Makes 16 servings
ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 3 1/2 hours (including cooling time)
EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 15-ounce can unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature (see Tip)
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Glaze & Garnish
- 1/2 cup packed confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon nonfat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips or toasted chopped nuts (see Tip)
1. To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Blend 1 cup buttermilk, pumpkin puree and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed. Beat in whole egg and egg white. Stir in oil, corn syrup and vanilla. Gradually add the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
4. Bake the cake until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on the rack, about 2 hours.
5. To glaze & garnish cake: Combine confectioners' sugar and 1 tablespoon buttermilk in a small bowl, stirring until completely smooth. Place the cake on a serving plate and drizzle the glaze over the top; garnish with chocolate chips (or chopped nuts) while the glaze is still moist.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 234 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrate; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 159 mg potassium. Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value). 3 Carbohydrate Servings. Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat.