- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons (or more) dark rum
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups chopped peeled Golden Delicious apples
- 1 cup chopped pecans
TO PREPARE THE RUM GLAZE:
* Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the brown sugar and rum. Cook until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is heated through; do not boil.
TO PREPARE THE CAKE AND ASSEMBLE:
* Combine the sugar and oil in a mixer bowl; mix well. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time.
* Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon and salt together. Add to the egg mixture gradually, mixing well after each addition.
* Add the vanilla. Fold in the apples and pecans. Spoon into a greased tube pan.
* Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean. Remove immediately to a cake plate. Pierce with a fork. Brush with the warm glaze.
NOTE: This cake is especially good with vanilla bean ice cream. The glaze will become slightly crunchy.