What Is Tyramine?Tyramine is found in many foods, including wines, ripe cheeses, and fermented or aged foods.
Why Should I Follow a Low-Tyramine Diet?A low-tyramine diet is recommended if you are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), a type of drug found in certain antidepressants, Parkinson’s medications, and antibiotics. Eating foods with high amounts of tyramine while taking MAOIs can cause a drug-nutrient interaction that produces side effects such as elevated blood pressure, headaches, heart palpitations, and chest pain.
Eating Guide for a Low-Tyramine Diet
|Food Category||Foods Recommended||Foods to Avoid|
|Grains|| || |
|Vegetables|| || |
|Fruits|| || |
|Milk|| || |
|Meat and Beans|| || |
|Oils|| || |
|Beverages|| || |
|Other|| || |
- Limit caffeine intake. While there is no tyramine in caffeine, consuming too much caffeine can result in high blood pressure .
- Fresh food is less likely to contain high levels of tyramine.
- Promptly refrigerate or freeze foods.
- Use or toss leftovers within 48 hours.
- Eat allowed fresh meats within three days.
- Eat allowed cheese within three to four weeks.
- Do not eat combination foods that contain foods on the “avoid” list.
- Continue this diet for four weeks after stopping your MAOI’s (or as directed by your physician).
American Dietetic Association
National Institutes of Health
Dietitians of Canada
Public Health Agency of Canada
California diet manual. State of California website. Available at: http://www.dds.ca.gov/Publications/docs/DDSDietManual.pdf. Accessed January 4, 2010.
Low-tyramine diet. Northwestern Memorial Hospital website. Available at: http://www.nmh.org/nmh/patientinformation/lowtryaminediet.htm. Accessed June 24, 2007.
Low-tyramine diet for use with monoamine oxidase inhibitors. University of North Carolina School of Medicine website. Available at: http://gcrc.med.unc.edu/investigators/diet/diet%5Fmaoi.html. Accessed June 24, 2007.
MAOI diet facts. University of Pittsburg Medical Center website. Available at: http://patienteducation.upmc.com/Pdf/MaoiDiet.pdf. Accessed June 24, 2007.
Nutrition care manual. American Dietetic Association website. Available at: http://nutritioncaremanual.org/auth.cfm?p=%2Findex.cfm%3F. Accessed January 3, 2009.
- Reviewer: Dianne Scheinberg Rishikof MS, RD, LDN
- Review Date: 03/2014
- Update Date: 05/08/2014