|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Medium yellow onion, diced||½|
|Garlic clove, minced||1|
|Ground beef, 90% lean||1/3 pound|
|Whole tomatoes, no salt added||1 (14.5-ounce) can|
|Black pepper to taste|
|Dried basil||½ teaspoon|
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook until evenly browned.
- Add the tomatoes and salt. Crush the tomatoes with a fork. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes. Season with the dried basil and pepper to taste. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Serve meat sauce over spaghetti.
4 starches; 2 medium fat meats; 2 vegetables; 1 fat
Side Suggestions: Veggie Salad
Top sliced romaine lettuce with your favorite salad veggies and dressing.
|Serving Size||½ of recipe|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
A randomized trial found that fecal microbiota transplantation had a higher rate of remission in patients with active ulcerative colitis than those who recieved placebo. Fecal transplantation is believed to help the intestine develop a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut which can help the intestine recover and function more effectively.
Chewing Gum After Surgery May Improve Digestive Tract Recovery