|Reduced-sodium vegetable broth||1 (14-ounce) can|
|Olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Small white onion, finely chopped||1|
|Garlic, minced||2 cloves|
|Carrot, peeled and thinly sliced||1|
|Celery stalk, thinly sliced||1|
|Yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch squares||1|
|Dried thyme||¼ teaspoon|
|Flat-leaf parsley, chopped||2 tablespoons|
|Freshly ground pepper to taste|
|Tomatoes, seeded and chopped||2|
|White (eg, cannelloni) beans, rinsed and drained||1 (14.5-ounce) can|
|Grated Parmesan cheese, divided||4 teaspoons|
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth and water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until onion is tender. Add carrots, celery, and potatoes, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until carrots are tender.
- Add hot broth and water to vegetable mixture and stir. Season with thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and beans, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
5 vegetables; 1 very lean meat substitute; 1 fat
Side Suggestions: Italian “House” Salad
Top a bag of mixed Italian greens with sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots. Toss with Italian vinaigrette dressing (make your own by combining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, 1 chopped garlic clove, and ½ teaspoon dried thyme).
Side Suggestions: Crusty Bread (Italian or French)
|Serving Size||¼ of recipe|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7.5 g|
A randomized trial found that drinking water before main meals led to higher weight loss than those who were asked to imagine a full stomach before main meals. Water preloading is believed to help create a feeling of fullness or satiety during the meal, which may help curb overeating.
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission
Exercise Associated with Healthy Baby Weight
Mindful Meditation May Reduce Symptoms and Complications of Insomnia