|Reduced-sodium vegetable broth||1 (14-ounce) can|
|Olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Small white onion, finely chopped||1|
|Garlic, minced||2 cloves|
|Carrot, peeled and thinly sliced||1|
|Celery stalk, thinly sliced||1|
|Yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch squares||1|
|Dried thyme||¼ teaspoon|
|Flat-leaf parsley, chopped||2 tablespoons|
|Freshly ground pepper to taste|
|Tomatoes, seeded and chopped||2|
|White (eg, cannelloni) beans, rinsed and drained||1 (14.5-ounce) can|
|Grated Parmesan cheese, divided||4 teaspoons|
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth and water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until onion is tender. Add carrots, celery, and potatoes, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until carrots are tender.
- Add hot broth and water to vegetable mixture and stir. Season with thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and beans, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
5 vegetables; 1 very lean meat substitute; 1 fat
Side Suggestions: Italian “House” Salad
Top a bag of mixed Italian greens with sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots. Toss with Italian vinaigrette dressing (make your own by combining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, 1 chopped garlic clove, and ½ teaspoon dried thyme).
Side Suggestions: Crusty Bread (Italian or French)
|Serving Size||¼ of recipe|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7.5 g|
A systematic review found that participants given chewing gum after abdominal surgery may have a faster return to normal for their digestive system. Unfortunately, the quality of trials is low and more research will need to be done before this simple solution is confirmed.
Early Peanut Consumption Associated with Lower Risk of Peanut Allergy in High Risk Children
Breastfeeding May Decrease the Risk of Childhood Obesity
Tonsillectomy May Reduce Number of Sore Throat Days in Children