|Reduced-sodium vegetable broth||1 (14-ounce) can|
|Olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Small white onion, finely chopped||1|
|Garlic, minced||2 cloves|
|Carrot, peeled and thinly sliced||1|
|Celery stalk, thinly sliced||1|
|Yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch squares||1|
|Dried thyme||¼ teaspoon|
|Flat-leaf parsley, chopped||2 tablespoons|
|Freshly ground pepper to taste|
|Tomatoes, seeded and chopped||2|
|White (eg, cannelloni) beans, rinsed and drained||1 (14.5-ounce) can|
|Grated Parmesan cheese, divided||4 teaspoons|
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth and water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until onion is tender. Add carrots, celery, and potatoes, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until carrots are tender.
- Add hot broth and water to vegetable mixture and stir. Season with thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and beans, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
5 vegetables; 1 very lean meat substitute; 1 fat
Side Suggestions: Italian “House” Salad
Top a bag of mixed Italian greens with sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots. Toss with Italian vinaigrette dressing (make your own by combining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, 1 chopped garlic clove, and ½ teaspoon dried thyme).
Side Suggestions: Crusty Bread (Italian or French)
|Serving Size||¼ of recipe|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7.5 g|