|90% reduced-fat ground beef||1 pound|
|Small white onion, chopped||1|
|Green bell pepper, chopped||1|
|Garlic cloves, minced||2|
|Diced tomatoes with added puree||1 (28-ounce) can|
|Kidney beans, drained||1 (16-ounce) can|
|Chili powder||2 tablespoons|
|Dried oregano||1½ teaspoons|
|Light sour cream||¼ cup|
|Reduced-fat grated cheddar cheese||¼ cup|
- Heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add beef and brown, breaking with a wooden spoon or spatula until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in onion, pepper, and garlic. Cook 3-4 minutes, until vegetables are slightly softened.
- Add tomatoes and beans to the pot. Stir in cumin, chili powder, oregano, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or more, until the chili reaches desired thickness.
- Top each bowl of chili with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 tablespoon cheese.
3 lean meats; 1.5 very lean meat substitutes; 1.5 starches; 1 vegetable
Side Suggestions: Crusty Bread (Italian or French)
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
A systematic review found that participants given chewing gum after abdominal surgery may have a faster return to normal for their digestive system. Unfortunately, the quality of trials is low and more research will need to be done before this simple solution is confirmed.
Early Peanut Consumption Associated with Lower Risk of Peanut Allergy in High Risk Children
Breastfeeding May Decrease the Risk of Childhood Obesity
Tonsillectomy May Reduce Number of Sore Throat Days in Children