Fettuccini With White Beans and Vegetables
Ingredients and Preparation
|Whole-wheat fettuccini or other pasta||4 ounces|
|White beans (any type), drained and rinsed||½ (16-ounce) can|
|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Garlic clove, minced||1|
|White onion, chopped||½|
|Carrot, peeled and chopped||1|
|Celery stalk, chopped||1|
|White wine (can substitute vegetable broth)||¼ cup|
|Diced tomatoes in their own juices||1 (14-ounce) can|
|Grated Parmesan cheese||2 tablespoons|
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting fat and salt.
- Mash half of the beans into a paste-like consistency with the back of a fork and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, carrot, celery, and salt, and cook 8-10 minutes, until vegetables are softened. Stir in wine, increase heat to medium-high, and cook 3-4 minutes, until wine evaporates.
- Add tomatoes and mashed beans to the pot and simmer about 6 minutes, until thickened. Stir in unmashed beans and cook until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
- Top pasta with the sauce and serve.
3.5 starches; 1.5 very lean meat substitutes; 1 fat
Side Suggestions: Tossed Salad
|Serving Size||½ of recipe|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||18 g|
Current Research From Top Journals