DefinitionCoccidioidomycosis, commonly called valley fever, is a fungal infection of the lungs that can cause serious problems.
CausesThe fungus that causes valley fever is found in the soil, most commonly in the southwestern United States, Mexico, and parts of Central and South America. The fungus lives in the soil, but it is transported through the air and into the lungs, where it infects people who breathe it in. When soil that contains the fungus is disturbed, spores are released into the air.The disease cannot be transmitted from person to person.
Risk FactorsPeople who are at increased risk of exposure to the fungus include:
- Construction workers
- People in the military
- People who work with or who are frequently exposed to soil
- People with weakened immune systems
- Elderly people
- African Americans
- Women in the third trimester of pregnancy
SymptomsSome people have no symptoms of valley fever. Others may have:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Flu-like symptoms that lasts for weeks or a month, including
- Night sweats
- Aching in the joints
- Rash that consists of painful red bumps
- Fatigue that lasts longer than a few weeks
DiagnosisYou will be asked about your symptoms and medical history. A physical exam will be done.Your bodily fluids may be tested. This can be done with:
- Blood tests
- Sputum smear or culture
TreatmentTalk with your doctor about the best treatment plan for you. Treatment options include:
- Bed rest and fluids—Many patients with valley fever do not need treatment with medication. The infection will go away on its own. Bed rest and drinking plenty of fluids will quicken recovery.
- Antifungal medication—Some patients, especially those with weakened immune systems, chronic diseases, severe pneumonia, disseminated valley fever, meningitis, or primary infection in third trimester of pregnancy may be prescribed an antifungal medication.
More from Beliefnet
Insomnia can make your days miserable and a cure can be hard to find. There are some medications but there is some worry with side effects and the potential for addiction. Music is side effect free and according to this study may help you find sleep.
CPAP May Help Older Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Water Before Meals May Promote Weight Loss
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission