What Is a Vegetarian Diet?A vegetarian diet excludes meat, poultry, fish, and foods containing these products. There are many different variations of the vegetarian diet. This article focuses on the lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet, which is based on plant foods, but also includes eggs and dairy.
Why Follow a Vegetarian Diet?There are many health benefits associated with following a vegetarian diet. In general, vegetarian diets tend to be lower in saturated fat and cholesterol, and provide higher amounts of many vitamins and minerals than traditional western diets. Moreover, a well-balanced vegetarian diet may help:
- Lower blood pressure
- Improve cholesterol profile
- Reduce body mass index
- Reduce the risk of certain diseases, including hypertension , type 2 diabetes , prostate cancer , and colon cancer
Vegetarian Diet BasicsA lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet is based on plant foods such as grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, seeds, and nuts, in addition to dairy and eggs. To make sure that you meet all your nutrient needs on this diet, be sure to eat a variety of each of these types of foods. Nutrients that deserve extra attention to make sure they are eaten in sufficient amounts include: protein, iron , calcium , zinc , vitamin B12 , vitamin D , and omega-3 fatty acids .
Eating Guide for a Vegetarian DietThis guide is based on the United States food guide, MyPlate. The latest information on the types of food included in each food category is available at http://www.choosemyplate.gov/ .
|Food Category||Key Suggestions||Key Nutrients Provided|
|Grains|| || |
|Vegetables|| || |
|Fruits|| || |
|Milk|| || |
|Protein Rich Foods|| || |
|Fats and Sweets|| |
- Eat a variety of foods from each of the food groups every day.
- Limit your intake of cheese and other high fat dairy products.
- If you are new to this diet, do not just continue eating your usual diet minus the meat. Be sure to replace the meat with other protein-rich foods (eg, milk, beans, and nuts).
- Consider meeting with a registered dietitian to makes sure you are meeting all your nutrient needs on this diet. A dietitian can create a meal plan for you.
- Enjoy your food, but do not overdo it. Avoid oversized portions.
- Check the sodium amount on the Nutrition Facts label and aim to eat foods low in sodium.
American Dietetic Association
The Vegetarian Resource Group
Dietitians of Canada
Toronto Vegetarian Association
American Dietetic Association. Position of the American Dietetic Association: vegetarian diets. J Am D Assoc . 2009;109:1266-1282.
American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada. Position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada: Vegetarian diets. J Am D Assoc . 2003;103:748-765.
Messina V, Melina V, Mangels AR. A new food guide for North American vegetarians. Can J Diet Prac Res . 2003;64:82-86.
Vegetarian choices in the protein food group. ChooseMyPlate.gov website. Available at: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/vegetarian.html# . Updated June 10, 2011. Accessed June 21, 2011.
Vegetarian diets. ChooseMyPlate.gov website. Available at: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/tipsresources/vegetarian%5Fdiets.html . Updated June 10, 2011. Accessed June 21, 2011.
- Reviewer: Dianne Scheinberg Rishikof MS, RD, LDN
- Review Date: 09/2013
- Update Date: 09/30/2013