Conditions InDepth: Menopause
Menopause is the natural end to menstruation. Menopause can start as early as 40 years old or as late as 60 years old. If menopause occurs prior to age 40, this is thought to be abnormal and is called premature menopause.Menopause is the result of the depletion of egg cells from the ovaries and the reduction of female hormones. Menopause is considered complete when you have been without your period for a full year. Rather than a single point in time, menopause is a process or transitional period when women move away from the phase of life where reproduction is possible. Menopause is a normal part of life. It marks the end of a long, slow process that begins when ovaries begin to produce less estrogen and progesterone. These female hormones are both important for normal menstrual cycles and successful pregnancy. Surgery to remove the ovaries, called an oophorectomy , in premenopausal women causes menopause to begin prematurely. This is known as surgical menopause. In addition to its role in reproduction, estrogen is an important hormone for maintaining bone health. It may also play important roles in heart health, skin elasticity, and brain function.Perimenopause:
- May begin 3-5 years before your last menstrual period
- Lasts about one year after your last menstrual period
- Signs and symptoms may appear during this phase
- Complete cessation of menstrual periods
- You have had no menstrual periods for one year,undergo surgical menopause, or have a blood test confirmation of menopause
- Childbearing is no longer naturally possible
- Begins after your last menstrual period
- You no longer menstruate.
- The risk of certain health problems increases. These health problems include osteoporosis and vaginal dryness.
More from Beliefnet
Insomnia can make your days miserable and a cure can be hard to find. There are some medications but there is some worry with side effects and the potential for addiction. Music is side effect free and according to this study may help you find sleep.
CPAP May Help Older Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Water Before Meals May Promote Weight Loss
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission