Screening for Melanoma
The purpose of screening is early diagnosis and treatment. Screening tests are usually administered to people without current symptoms, but who may be at high risk for certain diseases or conditionsSkin Self-exam —A visual check of your skin from head to toe. Tips for performing a skin self-exam include:
- Use a full-length mirror or hand-held mirror to check hard to spot places, such as between the buttocks or in the genital area.
- Do the exam in a well-lit room.
- Turn from front to back and left to right.
- Note the size, shape, color, and texture of all skin blemishes and moles.
- Check your fingernails, palms, and forearms.
- Check your feet, toenails, soles, and between the toes.
- Examine your scalp, separating the hair with a comb or a blow dryer.
More from Beliefnet
A meta-analysis found that mothers participating in a prenatal exercise group were less likely to have a large newborn, less likely to need a cesarean section, and no more likely to have a low birthweight baby than those who did not exercise. The study supports proper prenatal care advice which advocates for mothers to exercise during pregnancy if allowed by the physician.
Chewing Gum After Surgery May Improve Digestive Tract Recovery
Early Peanut Consumption Associated with Lower Risk of Peanut Allergy in High Risk Children