Screening for Melanoma
The purpose of screening is early diagnosis and treatment. Screening tests are usually administered to people without current symptoms, but who may be at high risk for certain diseases or conditionsSkin Self-exam —A visual check of your skin from head to toe. Tips for performing a skin self-exam include:
- Use a full-length mirror or hand-held mirror to check hard to spot places, such as between the buttocks or in the genital area.
- Do the exam in a well-lit room.
- Turn from front to back and left to right.
- Note the size, shape, color, and texture of all skin blemishes and moles.
- Check your fingernails, palms, and forearms.
- Check your feet, toenails, soles, and between the toes.
- Examine your scalp, separating the hair with a comb or a blow dryer.
More from Beliefnet
A systematic review found that participants given chewing gum after abdominal surgery may have a faster return to normal for their digestive system. Unfortunately, the quality of trials is low and more research will need to be done before this simple solution is confirmed.
Early Peanut Consumption Associated with Lower Risk of Peanut Allergy in High Risk Children
Breastfeeding May Decrease the Risk of Childhood Obesity
Tonsillectomy May Reduce Number of Sore Throat Days in Children