|Cooking spray||3 sprays|
|Yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced||2|
|Red bell peppers, thinly sliced||2|
|Celery ribs, thinly sliced||2|
|Garlic cloves, thinly sliced||6|
|Italian parsley, stems and leaves intact||10 sprigs|
|Crushed tomatoes||1 can (16 ounces)|
|Large eggplant, cut into 1 inch pieces||1|
|Red wine vinegar||½ cup|
|Pitted and halved Kalmata olives||½ cup|
|Drained and rinsed capers||¼ cup|
|Fresh ground black pepper||1/8 teaspoon|
- In a large nonreactive pan, add 1 spray of cooking spray.
- Add the onions and sauté on medium heat, stirring often, until translucent and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and celery and sauté, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Tie the thyme sprigs and parsley together with kitchen twine. Add the tomatoes and the herb bundle to the pan and cover with a lid.
- Allow the mixture to simmer, stirring from time to time, for about 15 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, heat the remaining 2 sprays of cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, and season with pepper. Cook until lightly brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Add the sautéed eggplant to the tomato mixture. Cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the vinegar and sugar, stirring to dissolve the sugar completely.
- Remove the vegetables from the heat and discard the herb bundle.
- Stir in the vinegar mixture, olives, and capers. Adjust the seasoning.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve warm or at room temperature, as an hors d'eouvres, or as a topping for pasta, chicken, or fish.
Fruit: 0; Vegetables: 2; Meat: 0; Milk: 0; Fat: 1; Carbs: 0; Other: 0
Jamie Gwen for Melissa’s Variety Produce
|Serving Size||1/10 of recipe|
|Calories from Fat||30|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
|Vitamin A||30% DV|
|Vitamin C||120% DV|
Health and medical shows are some of the most popular talk shows on television. The hosts, highlighted as experts, offer a plethora of information but this study has found that almost half of those recommendations have little research support.
Strength Training, Tai Chi, and Aerobics May Improve Balance in People With Knee Osteoarthritis
Exercise During Pregnancy May Decrease the Risk of Cesarean Birth
Maternal Caffeine Intake May Be Associated with Low Birth Weight