|Olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Yellow onion chopped||2 cups|
|Celery, chopped||1 cup|
|Garlic cloves, roasted and minced||4|
|Low sodium vegetable broth||1 cup|
|Pinto beans, drained||2 cans (15 ounces each)|
|Diced tomatoes||1 can (14.5 ounces)|
|Butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into ½ inch pieces||2 cups|
|Dried oregano||1 teaspoon|
|Dried red pepper flakes, crushed||½ teaspoon|
|Basil, chopped||6 tablespoon|
- Heat oil in heavy, large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and celery; sauté until onions are golden, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and dried red pepper flakes; stir 1 minute.
- Add broth, water, and all other ingredients except the basil; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer 3 cups soup to blender; cool slightly, then puree until smooth.
- Return puree to pot with soup.
- Simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 6 bowls. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon basil and serve.
Fruit: 0; Vegetables: 2; Meat: 0; Milk: 0; Fat: 0; Carbs: 3; Other: 0
Melissa’s Variety Produce
|Serving Size||1/6 recipe|
|Calories from Fat||35|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||16 g|
|Vitamin A||120% DV|
|Vitamin C||50% DV|
A randomized trial found that fecal microbiota transplantation had a higher rate of remission in patients with active ulcerative colitis than those who recieved placebo. Fecal transplantation is believed to help the intestine develop a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut which can help the intestine recover and function more effectively.
Chewing Gum After Surgery May Improve Digestive Tract Recovery