|Onions, cut into ½ inch wedges||1 cup|
|Banana or Hubbard squash||1 pound|
|Red bell pepper||1|
|Low sodium, low-fat vegetable broth||2 cups|
|Puréed tomato||1 cup|
|Lime juice||2 tablespoons|
|Frozen peas||1 (10 ounce) package|
|Black pepper||1/8 teaspoon|
|Cilantro sprigs, rinsed, or thinly sliced green onions||1 bunch|
- Peel onions and cut into ½ inch thick wedges.
- Peel the sweet potato, carrots, squash, and parsnips; cut into ¾ inch pieces.
- Peel and mince or press garlic.
- Rinse bell pepper; stem, seed, and cut into ½ inch strips.
- Cook onions, sweet potato, carrots, squash, parsnips, garlic, and 1 cup of broth in a covered pan for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add a few tablespoons of water if mixture begins sticking to pan. Add 1 more cup of broth, along with the bell pepper, tomato sauce, lime juice, and cayenne to taste.
- Return to a boil, and then reduce heat. Simmer covered until vegetables are tender when pierced, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- If stew sticks to pan or gets thicker than desired, add more broth as needed.
- Add peas and stir occasionally until hot, about 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls, and garnish with cilantro or sliced green onions.
Fruit: 0; Vegetables: 3; Meat: 0; Milk: 0; Fat: 0; Carbs: 1; Other: 0
|Serving Size||1/6 recipe|
|Calories from Fat||10|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
|Vitamin A||250% DV|
|Vitamin C||120% DV|
A randomized trial found that fecal microbiota transplantation had a higher rate of remission in patients with active ulcerative colitis than those who recieved placebo. Fecal transplantation is believed to help the intestine develop a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut which can help the intestine recover and function more effectively.
Exercise Associated with Healthy Baby Weight
Mindful Meditation May Reduce Symptoms and Complications of Insomnia
Chewing Gum After Surgery May Improve Digestive Tract Recovery