|Olive oil||2 + 2 teaspoons|
|Shiitake or crimini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced||4 ounces|
|Boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces||½ pound|
|Reduced-sodium chicken stock, more if needed||2 cups|
|Small yellow onion, minced||½|
|Arborio rice||½ cup|
|Dry white wine||½ cup|
|Parmesan cheese, grated||2 + 1 tablespoons|
|Freshly ground pepper to taste|
|Fresh parsley, chopped||1 tablespoon|
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes. Add the chicken and cook another 4-5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Transfer mixture to a plate and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Heat stock in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the large pot. Add onion and sauté, stirring frequently, for about 4-5 minutes. Add the rice and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add the wine and simmer, stirring continuously, until all the wine is absorbed. Add ½ cup of warmed stock, and cook, stirring frequently, until stock is absorbed.
- Continue cooking the rice, adding ½ cup stock at a time and stirring frequently, allowing almost all of the stock to evaporate before adding the next ½ cup. Continue cooking until all the stock is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20-25 minutes. (If necessary, add more stock.)
- Stir in the chicken, mushrooms, and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese. Season with freshly ground pepper to taste. Top with remaining tablespoon Parmesan cheese and the fresh, chopped parsley.
3 starches; 3 very lean meats; 1 lean meat substitute; 2 fats; 1 vegetable
Side Suggestions: Arugula, Pear, and Walnut Salad
Top 2 cups arugula salad with 1 sliced pear, and 2 tablespoons crushed walnuts. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette.
|Saturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2.5 g|
Many medical groups felt that early exposure to certain foods like peanuts increased a child's risk of developing food allergies. However, newer research including this trial suggest that early exposure may actually decrease the risk of developing food allergies.
Breastfeeding May Decrease the Risk of Childhood Obesity
Tonsillectomy May Reduce Number of Sore Throat Days in Children
Research Review Finds Little Support for Nearly Half of Medical Talk Show Recommendations