What Is a Balanced Diet?A balanced diet is one that includes:
- A variety of foods
- Foods from all the major food groups: grains, fruits vegetables, protein and dairy
- Appropriate amounts of these foods
Why Should I Eat a Balanced Diet?A balanced diet can provide all the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrient that your body needs. This diet will also supports your overall health and well-being. It will help you to look and feel your best.When combined with regular physical activity, a balanced diet can help prevent conditions such as:
How to Eat a Balanced DietBalancing each meal with the proper food groups and the correct amount of food is the start of a balanced diet. At first, you will need to plan each meal. Once you are more comfortable with food groups and portion sizes, it will be easier to create balanced meals. Some key tips from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) include:
- Enjoy food, but eat less.
- Half of your plate should be filled with vegetables or fruits.
- Half of the grains you consume should be whole grains.
- When consuming dairy, choose fat-free or low-fat (1%) options.
- Keep sodium levels in your diet low. Choose foods low in sodium.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.