(Yellowing of Skin)
DefinitionJaundice is a yellow discoloration of the skin, mucus membranes, and whites of the eyes.
CausesJaundice occurs when excess bilirubin builds up in the blood. Bilirubin is a yellow-brown colored substance in bile. Bile is a liquid that carries waste products and bilirubin away from the liver. It also helps break down fats in the small intestine. It is formed during the body's normal process of breaking down red blood cells.There are several reasons why too much bilirubin can build up in the blood. They include:
- Excess breakdown of red blood cells, which can occur in:
- A blockage in or near the liver that prevents the flow of bile, such as:
- Gallstones or pancreatitis
- A tumor in the liver or bile duct
- Pancreatic cancer
- Birth defects
Liver, Gallbladder, and Bile duct Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
- Liver damage caused by:
- In babies, insufficient amounts of a certain liver enzyme during the first 2 weeks of life
- Inherited metabolic disorders, including Gilbert , Crigler-Nager, and Dubin-Johnson syndromes
More from Beliefnet
Insomnia can make your days miserable and a cure can be hard to find. There are some medications but there is some worry with side effects and the potential for addiction. Music is side effect free and according to this study may help you find sleep.
CPAP May Help Older Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Water Before Meals May Promote Weight Loss
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission