Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
(Human Mad Cow Disease; vCJD)
DefinitionVariant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) is a fatal type of prion disease. Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) is a prion disease that affects cows. There is evidence that this illness can be transmitted to humans, producing vCJD. This illness is often called mad cow disease.
CausesIt is generally believed that vCJD is caused by infectious proteins called prions. Prions are normal proteins in the body. If these prions fold up in a different way than normal, they may transform into the protein that causes the illness. The build-up of abnormal prions may be linked to the brain damage associated with vCJD.
|The Nervous System|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Risk FactorsVariant CJD is more common in younger people. Factors that may increase your chance of getting vCJD include exposure to prion-containing tissue. This may occur from:
- Eating beef from infected cows
- Receiving a blood transfusion from someone who had the disease
SymptomsAfter you are exposed, it can take up to 20 years until symptoms develop. When symptoms develop, they usually follow these 3 phases:
- Early phase (0 to 6 months)— psychiatric symptoms, such as depression , anxiety , withdrawal, memory problems, and difficulty pronouncing words
- Middle phase—neurologic symptoms predominate, such as abnormal gait, problems with coordination, muscle jerks and stiffness, and impaired speech
- Late phase—mute, immobility
DiagnosisYour doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history. A physical exam will be done. Tests may include:
- Blood tests
- Electroencephalogram (EEG) to record the electical activity of the brain
- Cerebrospinal fluid analysis
- Brain biopsy
- Tonsillar biopsy
More from Beliefnet
A randomized trial found that drinking water before main meals led to higher weight loss than those who were asked to imagine a full stomach before main meals. Water preloading is believed to help create a feeling of fullness or satiety during the meal, which may help curb overeating.
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission
Exercise Associated with Healthy Baby Weight
Mindful Meditation May Reduce Symptoms and Complications of Insomnia