Your Charmed Life

Your Charmed Life

Juicing for Health: Natalia Rose’s “Green Lemonade”

posted by Victoria Moran

With St. Paddy’s Day coming up tomorrow, I was thinking about my favorite green drink in all the400000000000000035265_s3.jpg world — not beer with food coloring in it. It is, rather, “Green Lemonade,” a delectable concoction to which I was introduced in The Raw Foods Detox Diet.

Author Natalia Rose suggests this fresh juice as the ideal start to the day, and I find that when I go for “Green Lemonade” before I have solid food or a cup of tea, I feel healthier and cleaner all day long. And it’s absolutely delicious — the apple makes it sweet, the lemon makes it tart, and the having the life energy from those greens makes you feel like a superhero.

So, with thanks to Natalia (and wishing you all the luck of the Irish tomorrow!):

Green Lemonade

Makes 1 serving

1 head romaine or celery
5 or 6 stalks kale (any type)
1 to 2 apples (as needed for sweetness–Natalia recommends organic Fuji)
1 whole organic lemon (you don’t have to peel it)
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh ginger (optional)

Process the vegetables through the juicer by admitting one vegetable at a time through the mouth of the juicer. The fiber will shoot out of the juicer into one container while the spout will eject the fresh juice into another container. Pour into a large glass and drink! Notice how the lemon really cuts out the ‘green’ taste that most people try to avoid.

(This recipe and The Raw Food Detox Diet are (c) Natalia Rose, 2006; the book is published by HarperCollins.)

Reil

posted March 16, 2009 at 4:09 am

Today was rice day, fifty-pound sacks of white rice in trucks bearing an elephant logo. The same happy elephant appeared on the bags, its head raised to the sky, the trunk curved like an S.
“Elephant,” Todd said.
He said it because a laborer was staring at it intently. Which meant he wasn’t working.
“That’s right,” the man said. “I couldn’t remember the word.”
He was the only other human at the loading dock this morning. The man didn’t have a name, just a number, like the rest of the robots. Paris, at Night.

Amy

posted March 16, 2009 at 11:11 am

Victoria,
Do you recommend a particular juicer? We’re in the market for one and this recipe is further indication that we need one!
Thanks!!

Victoria Moran

posted March 16, 2009 at 11:43 am

Amy — My understanding is that the super-duper juicer these days is the GreenStar. It does everything and it really extracts the juice out of those greens so the pulp is bone-dry and there’s no waste. It’s an expensive juicer, though (don’t quote me, but around $450, I think), so when I bought my last juicer (in ’08), I opted for the one Natalia Rose recommended, the Breville. I ordered mine online but I’ve since seen them at Bed, Bath & Beyond. They’re not super-cheap — I paid around $200, but I think they’re less now — and they do a good job. This is also the easiest juicer to clean that I’ve ever used. For a true bargain juicer, the cheapest one I know of that’s dependable is the Jack Lalanne Power Juicer. They also have those at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Christina

posted March 16, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Thank you, Victoria! Just this weekend I started to seriously consider juicing. And then I receive this gift from you. A wonderful juicing recipe as the perfect sign that indeed I should!

Amy

posted March 18, 2009 at 10:01 am

Thanks, Victoria! We just ordered the Breville “800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite 1000-Watt Juice Extractor” :)
Can’t wait to start – thanks for the added motivation to finally take the leap.

Ryan

posted March 18, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Sounds great.
Beer with food coloring….that would be the day.

Juicing Shack

posted May 4, 2009 at 1:48 pm

The amount of Kale in this drink can be reduced a bit, I think especially for a beginner, but the lettuce sure is refreshing. I think adding celery and lettuce to this drink makes it taste even better.
Here is another green drink for all the Green drink enthusiasts!! Enjoy!!

Donna

posted December 9, 2009 at 8:46 am

Can we juice leafy greens in the Breville juicer? I thought we needed a special kind of juicer for greens, like the green star or one like it. Thank you.

Don's breville juice fountain elite 800jexl review

posted April 27, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Hi victoria:

I tried your green lemonade recipe this morning. I love it! Thank you for sharing!

For those who were asking about the best juicer to use I recommend you look into the Breville brand. Mine is awesome

Pingback: Veggie Juice “Green Lemonade” Recipe | Fit 2B You

sam

posted June 30, 2011 at 11:51 am

wow! I tried the green lemonade for the first time this morning and while it tastes good, my body is freaking out in response to it! my face is getting hot and my stomach is squeezing and I feel very odd. has anyone else had this response? is kale spicy?

Pingback: Healthy Green Kale Lemonade Recipe | Elana's Pantry

Cindy

posted May 27, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I have juicing now for about 4 weeks, with so much SUCCES! This is truly the best way to detox your body and everyone in the WEST should probably need to try this this. I must say that I do add either lemons or limes and I also add cucumbers that I have peeled and seeded. I don’t add the apple – but in order to make it tasty I add STEVIA. I know from all the info out there that you can’t detox with added sugar – so STEVIA is such a great natural substitute. Try It you will be so HAPPY :)) that you did this for yourself!

Angela

posted September 9, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Will this work in a Vitamix? Or do I need to use a juicer?

Thank you!

Pingback: SRK Tour Adventures: Arizona Part III | Carmellas Sunny Raw KitchenCarmellas Sunny Raw Kitchen

lisa

posted March 7, 2013 at 6:32 am

Good idea,i think so,and i like good juicer too.thanks for your sharing.

William Barnes

posted March 8, 2013 at 5:17 am

I would rate this product as 10 out of 10

William Barnes

posted March 8, 2013 at 5:22 am

lemonade-diet

posted June 10, 2013 at 1:35 pm

The mixture you have listed sounds like an odd combination, but I’m sure it’s delicious… and definitely healthy.

Lemonade Diet Detox

posted August 8, 2013 at 1:44 pm

It’s true what you say about lemon juice cutting the green taste. Lemon combines really well with any green vegetable juice. My favorite: Lemon and cucumber juice.

Mr. Hogarth

posted March 13, 2014 at 1:52 am

Juicing is a great way to lose weight and stay healthy.

Tomorrow is my swan song ...
Hi, friends -- I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I would be giving up this blog at the end of my contract period. It's not an easy parting, since I look forward to our chats, but I haven't been able to figure out how to blog every day, have something worth reading every day, and still keep enou

posted 5:53:10pm Dec. 14, 2009 | read full post »

My top 10 favorite posts of 2009
As my career as a daily blogger ends, I've looked back over the year and pulled out my favorite posts, the ones that meant the most to me, or that I had the most fun writing. I hope you'll enjoy reading (or rereading) these. It's been a privilege to share my thoughts with you.Victoria's Victorious B

posted 7:08:45am Dec. 14, 2009 | read full post »

Preparing for Christmas
I took a class on mysticism the other night at The NY Open Center. The instructor was Jon Mundy, Ph.D., who publishes Miracles magazine. He had copies available -- it's wonderful -- and one tiny article caught my eye. I reproduce it here for your Yuletide pondering:Did You Know?from Miracles, N

posted 8:35:03am Dec. 11, 2009 | read full post »

Peace on Earth ... but maybe not quiet ...
I just visited The Writers Room. It is a wonderful place where serious writers write lots and lots of real books: the evidence is on shelves when you walk in. I'm grateful that three professional contacts wrote me glowing recommendations and thrilled that I've been invited to join. But I don't think

posted 5:03:59pm Dec. 10, 2009 | read full post »

Do You Use the Guest Towels? -- a guest blog from Elizabeth Grant
Do You Use the Guest Towels?  by Elizabeth A. Grant One of the greatest obstacles I see with clients is that people have trouble valuing themselves highly. Somewhere along the line, they took on a belief that they aren't worth much. A friend of mine is an artist, and she's really struggling wit

posted 10:40:34am Dec. 09, 2009 | read full post »