Via Media

Via Media

Vigiling in DC

posted by awelborn

Via the DC Dominicans – great stuff.

From a National Catholic Register article:

This Halloween, rather than attending a liquor-laden Halloween party or taking part in some bar’s costume contest, young professionals will jam into a dark-wood English Gothic chapel at the Dominican House of Vigil2 Studies to hear readings from the lives of the saints and an inspirational talk, pray ancient night prayers along with the friars, and sing Gregorian chant. The liturgy concludes with a candle-lit procession to the friars’ reliquary while chanting a litany.

Afterwards, there’s a social hour with friar-baked goodies and holy cards of saints for the taking.

The annual event was brought here by a group of young Dominicans from the West Coast, and it immediately began to draw large numbers of college-aged and young adult Catholics. It’s been that way ever since.

“Our annual All Saints’ Vigil draws hundreds for good reason,” said Dominican Father Reginald Whitt, president of the House of Studies. “We can’t help but be drawn to the saints and be inspired by their lives.”

From the sermon of Fr. Hugh Vincent Dyer O.P. at last year’s Vigil:

(You can also listen at the link above)

In Manhattan I have seen hundreds of people at a time standing in line to have books autographed by an author. People brave all sorts of weather to get a signature from Dennis Rodman or Hillary Rodham Clinton, to share vicariously in the fame of another.

Somehow we are tempted to think that if we have even the slightest share in the lives of the famous we also will become famous. Yet, this seeking after vicarious fame fails to recognize the unrepeatabilty, the Vigil opportunity open to each, of God’s children. Left to such a life, at the time of death, we will be in danger of suffering the agonizing memory of a wasted life. Human beings are not called to be famous, but to give their lives in love for the lives of others.

The saints have stood in another line seeking to have the book of their lives signed. The author is the Author of Life, and his signature, like that of the poor and illiterate man, is a simple mark, a cross. This mark offers no mere vicarious share in fame, but like all marks made by God; this signature is personal and transforming.

(It’s also at Godspy)

c

Fr. Augustine Thompson O.P.

posted October 31, 2006 at 4:30 pm

For readers around Charlottesville VA, who cannot make it to the Dominican House of Studies in D.C., but would like to attend.
The same Vigil of All Saints will be celebrated at St. Thomas Aquinas University Parish in Charlottesville at 8:00 p.m. this evening, in the church, on Alderman Road.
Our vigil is patterned on that in D.C., although simpler. Music (mostly in English Chant) will be by the 7:30 A.M Sunday Mass Gregorian Schola.

Gene Branaman

posted October 31, 2006 at 4:43 pm

This sounds like a wonderful event! Alas . . . I live on the Left Coast. I wonder if there are any such events out here? I’ve never heard of one.

Richard

posted October 31, 2006 at 5:34 pm

One word: Awesome!

Br. Boniface, OP

posted October 31, 2006 at 6:06 pm

Mr. Branaman,
There is, although it has remained a smaller, quieter event than the one the brothers carried with them to the East. It is held at 7.30pm in the chapel of St. Albert’s Priory in Oakland, CA.

Ephrem

posted October 31, 2006 at 6:07 pm

Visitors to DC should try to come to a Mass at the D-House on a regular Sunday or a weekday. So many good young Religious. It’s very encouraging!

Brother Robert

posted October 31, 2006 at 7:05 pm

The DC Dominicans learned the custom from us here in the Western Province. If you’re in the Bay Area, drop by St. Albert’s Priory at 7:30pm Pacific Standard Time. If you’re in the Bay Area, check it out!

Patricia Gonzalez

posted October 31, 2006 at 7:56 pm

I’m almost green with envy! What a terrific idea, and hurray for the Dominicans! I’m waiting for the trick-or-treaters right now, but I’d much rather be at the vigil… Nothing in Montreal remotely like that, not that I know of… God bless all these wonderful Hounds of God!

Patricia Gonzalez

posted October 31, 2006 at 7:56 pm

Ephrem

posted October 31, 2006 at 9:25 pm

Probably wouldn’t hurt to mention that the Dominican House is in the middle of a campaign to build a new school building and library. I understand that donations are most welcome! Hope it’s okay to mention this.

Radical Catholic Mom

posted November 1, 2006 at 2:35 pm

I love the Dominicans!

John Stroud

posted November 1, 2006 at 7:24 pm

Yes, this would appeal to this older adult as well!
I did my part by attending the Vigil Mass at Sacred Heart in the lovely Coachella Valley here in CA.

Therese

posted November 1, 2006 at 8:50 pm

If you’d like to see something like this in your church, the Dominicans have photos of last night’s events and a complete “How to Hold Your Own Vigil Kit” on their website http://www.dominicanfriars.org.

G

posted November 2, 2006 at 1:36 pm

And let’s remember, L of the H is “easier” to do because it does not require a priest or a church.
If worse came to wors, lay people could organize it and do it in someones backyard or basement.
In fact, an outdoor L of the H strikes me as a great evangelization tool — anyone more up on matters litrugical know if there is anything mitigating against the great outdoors?
If I’ve prayed it alone I’ve usually done it in bed, or on the couch, but I have also done it sitting on a park bench. Does that violate any rubrics?

G