Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#140 Saying “hanging” instead of “hanging out”

posted by Stephanie Drury

saddamhanggraphic.jpgChristian culture tends to omit the word “out” from the term “hanging out.” They just “hang.” They want to hang with you, with their hot wife, with the new church planter, and most of all with the fam.

You hardly ever hear people say they are “hanging with the fam” or “let’s hang!” outside of Christian culture. When you do hear this it’s a safe bet that person is either Acts 29, a youth pastor, Dane Cook, or Canadian.

danecookhang.jpg

ben parsons

posted March 27, 2010 at 3:49 pm

(somewhat off topic)
weird dane cook thing- he was in this movie with Costner called Mr. Brooks. he played this kind of sniveling wanna-be serial killer. it was weird.

stephanie drury

posted March 27, 2010 at 4:29 pm

He was also in Windy City Heat.

Steve

posted March 29, 2010 at 10:43 am

Forgive my utter ignorance, but what does the hand gesture in the second picture mean?

ransackre

posted March 29, 2010 at 11:19 am

Stephanie, Not getting the idea that this is endemic to just Christians, Youth Pastors or Acts 29ers. Sorry, but I know Atheists, Snow-Boarding Hindus and Hippie-Free Love-Yoga-Teachers-From-Boulder who speak the same way. The “Hot-Wife” bit, yeah I don’t hear many other places. But the other stuff: “The Fam”, “Hang” etc……. You don’t hang out with many pot smokers do you? Sorry for the counter observation.

stephanie drury

posted March 29, 2010 at 11:38 am

Steve, it’s Dane Cook’s super secret gang sign!

Jennifer Many

posted April 2, 2010 at 1:21 am

…Dane Cook…!

Joseph

posted April 10, 2010 at 2:09 pm

i never hear enough people making the dane cook/christian connection

SkyHawk

posted April 14, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Steve, the direct answer is the sign is the “SuperFinger”. (I happen to be one of those college students who saw the guy on YouTube, and despise him. That is all.)

kyle

posted April 28, 2010 at 12:57 am

you’re really reaching for topics now…

stephanie drury

posted April 28, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I’ve been scrambling for topics for about 130 entries now.

stuffperson

posted May 29, 2010 at 12:20 am

Evangelicals overusing “hang”: agreed. Canadians: nope… at least not outside Christian culture or 40-somethings who think they’re being “hip”.