Religion 101

Religion 101

Hindu Demographics & Denominations (Part One)

posted by Reed Hall

Having already addressed, in previous blog entries, the basic breakdown into wings, branches, sects, movements, denominations and similar sorts of internal subdivisions that is found within Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, I’d now like to round out the big picture in this manner by looking next at the remaining two religions generally also included among the “big five” of the world’s major faith traditions: Hinduism (beginning with this blog entry) and Buddhism (in a subsequent blog entry).

With just under a billion adherents worldwide, Hinduism is the third largest religion in the world, after Christianity (the largest) and Islam (the second largest). Estimates vary somewhat, but Hindus appear to account for roughly 14% to 15% of the world’s population.

Hinduism is, of course, most strongly associated with its native homeland: India. And approximately 84% of India’s vast population is indeed Hindu. However, Hinduism is also the majority religion of Nepal (where 91% of the populace is Hindu) and Mauritius (54% Hindu). Additionally, about 93% of the population of Bali (a province of Indonesia, which is otherwise majority Muslim) practices a unique local variant of Hinduism.

The Hindu faith has also spread more thinly elsewhere, going wherever Hindus have migrated around the globe. Small immigrant Hindu communities can be found worldwide. Within the United States, Hindus remain a very small religious minority, accounting for only about 0.4% of American adults. Nevertheless, Hindu temples can be found in most major U.S. cities.

Like every major religion, Hinduism is not one thing, but many. The Hindu religious tradition is likewise internally diverse, and highly variegated.

And its biggest sectarian divisions relate to precisely how different Hindus differently picture, imagine, visualize, conceptualize, mythologize, or otherwise conceive of God. Within Hinduism, the Supreme Lord can be depicted, visualized, talked about, or comprehended in a plurality of alternative — and quite distinctive — ways. Among the most popular Hindu forms, manifestations, personalities, “public images” or “versions” of God are Vishnu, Shiva, and Shakti (as Devi, the Mother Goddess).

God is also conceived of by some Hindus as essentially nonpersonal or transpersonal in nature — as the One, the Absolute, All That Is, the World Soul, the Supreme Reality or Ground of Being referred to as Brahman.

Further complicating this picture is the fact that each of the various alternate Hindu ways of depicting, comprehending, and personifying God is additionally surrounded with an extended family of divine spouses, consorts, offspring, and assorted other related gods and demigods.

Thus Vishnu is accompanied by his wife, the goddess Lakshmi; Vishnu is also said to have descended to earth numerous times in the form of various human (and non-human) avatars or incarnations, including such epic heroes of Hindu lore as Rama (whose wife is Sita, and who is further associated with the monkey god Hanuman) and Krishna (whose lover is Radha). Shiva, for his part, is associated with such female divine consorts as the goddesses Uma and Parvati, and has for a son the popular elephant-headed god Ganesha.

Now, how does all of this divine diversity work itself out, in Hindu worship? And in the face of all of this seeming polytheism (with Hindus worshipping so many different deities), how is it possible that many if not most Hindus often insist that they are actually not polytheists, but monotheists?

(To be continued, in Part Two.)

wendy stevens reverse google marketing

posted August 19, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Fantastic website you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics talked about in this article?
I’d really love to be a part of community where
I can get suggestions from other knowledgeable people that share
the same interest. If you have any recommendations,
please let me know. Cheers!

home birth Spartanburg

posted August 15, 2014 at 3:22 am

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear.
Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Regardless, just wanted to
say excellent blog!

24 hour ac repair service Worcester Pennsylvania

posted August 14, 2014 at 8:38 pm

It’s going to be end of mine day, except before ending
I am reading this impressive piece of writing to improve my
experience.

natural birth Greenville

posted August 14, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I think this is one of the most important info for me.
And i’m glad reading your article. But wanna remark on few general
things, The web site style is perfect, the
articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

Spartanburg home birth midwife

posted August 14, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.
I don’t know who you are but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;)
Cheers!

Invisible Braces Mesa

posted July 24, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Have you ever considered publishing an ebook or guest authoring on other sites?
I have a blog based upon on the same information you discuss and would love to have
you share some stories/information. I know my viewers would value your work.
If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

limited budget available

posted July 22, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Hello my friend! I want to say that this article is awesome, nice
written and include approximately all important infos.
I would like to peer more posts like this .

indian jobs

posted July 10, 2014 at 2:27 am

of course like your web site but you need to take a look at the spelling on several of your
posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very bothersome to inform the truth however
I will certainly come again again.

visit the following website

posted June 24, 2014 at 11:05 pm

This website was… how do I say it? Relevant!!

Finally I have found something that helped me. Appreciate it!

On Teaching About Judaism (Part Six)
Specifically Christian newcomers to the study of Judaism frequently puzzle over  why -- as they themselves often put it -- Jews "don't believe in Jesus." The reality is simply that the entire Jewish concept of who and what a Messiah actually is (or does) is just nothing like what Christians them

posted 4:45:00pm Jun. 29, 2013 | read full post »

On Teaching About Judaism (Part Five)
Aside from the several other frequent areas of confusion which sometimes puzzle newcomers to the study of Judaism (areas which I've been discussing in my last several blog entries), there is yet another hazy area that is often uniquely puzzling to specifically Christian newcomers: why, as they thems

posted 10:01:32pm Jun. 27, 2013 | read full post »

On Teaching About Judaism (Part Four)
As discussed in previous blog entries, a fairly sizable percentage of the American public seems to know surprisingly little about many of the basics of Judaism. In my own world religions courses, some students begin the semester with no real knowledge of the Jewish faith, and may even harbor some fa

posted 9:16:07pm Jun. 25, 2013 | read full post »

On Teaching About Judaism (Part Three)
As discussed in previous blog entries, a fairly sizable percentage of the American public seems to know surprisingly little about the basics of Judaism. In my own world religions courses, some students begin the semester with no real knowledge of the Jewish faith, and may even harbor some fairly com

posted 6:27:16pm Jun. 22, 2013 | read full post »

Midsummer (Litha)/Yule 2013
Tomorrow (Friday, June 21, 2013) is the date of the summer solstice within the Northern Hemisphere. In the Southern Hemisphere, by contrast, tomorrow will be the date of the winter solstice. Solstices have long been observed as important seasonal festivals in many traditional cultures. Accordingl

posted 5:05:38pm Jun. 20, 2013 | read full post »