Glory Be! This Beliefnet Blogger is thrilled to report that pineapples, although available year-round, are hitting their sweet peak right now and will continue to do so through early summer!
Pineapples are juicy, delicious and good for you, too. They are loaded with fiber, manganese (a mineral that helps with digestion), and vitamin C, which is helpful when fighting colds and coughs.
Pineapples also contain an anti-inflammatory enzyme called Bromelain. (Ah yes, the secret, restorative ingredient that YOU really do need; don’t you?)
Bromelain helps to:
- Reduce inflammation and swelling,
- Strengthen bones,
- Reduce symptoms associated with sinusitis,
- Alleviate symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis,
- Promote the healing of injuries (including sprains and strains),
- Lessen post-operative swelling, and
- Relieve Indigestion.
- A pineapple will NOT ripen or get any sweeter after picking.
- Hawaiian pineapples are picked at their maximum ripeness; therefore the sooner they are eaten, the better.
- If you don’t plan to eat the pineapple right away, store it in your fridge.
- Select a plump and fresh looking pineapple.
- Contrary to popular belief, the COLOR is not a sign of maturity or ripeness. The pineapple could be ripe, even if it is green on the outside.
- Ease in pulling out leaves from the crown is NOT a sign of ripeness or good quality (oh my, I am always pulling the leaves!).
- Bigger does not mean better tasting!
How to Pick YOUR Pineapple:
- Choose a plump and fresh looking pineapple.
- Fresh green leaves in the crown are a good sign.
- The body should be firm, but not too firm!
- And definitely NOT soft!
My Mother advises … “If you want to ensure that your pineapple is sweet …”
… preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Please pineapple on tray (in its original form) and baked for 15 minutes or until soft.
The heat brings the sugar out.
True enough! Thanks, Mom
Here’s to YOUR Health!
Broccoli Spouts: Miracle CURE
Lemons, 15 Secrets!
The Belly Fat Cure (recipes included!)
Spread the curative word … NOT the icing!
Janice Taylor is a Life & Wellness Coach, specializing in weight loss, reinvention, transformation & happiness, author, seminar leader and 50-pound-BIG-Time-LOSER! Write Janice for an Introductory Coaching Session.
For more motivation and inspiration, join the Kick in the Tush Club: Beliefnet Chapter.
Pick up a copy of Janice’s latest: All Is Forgiven, Move ON ~ Our Lady of Weight Loss’s 101 Fat-Burning Steps on Your Journey to Sveltesville!
“Janice Taylor is a certain kind of kooky genius ~ see if her idiosyncratic diet plan will work for you.” ~ O, The Oprah Magazine
Follow Janice on Twitter: