A sneeze zooms out of your mouth at over 100 m.p.h. and then ‘it’ LANDS with a thud on door knobs, hand railings, elevator buttons, grocery carts, telephones … on anything and everything that you mindlessly and automatically touch on through the day, several times a day!!!
Now, I don’t mean to breathe or sneeze disaster in the air, or into your mind, but the swine flu has health officials concerned. At last count (so the numbers may being changing as I bang away on my keyboard that thankfully no one other than self has sneezed on), the Swine Flu has infected at least 20 Americans in five states, killed 80 people in Mexico and as traveled as far away as New Zealand.
The Swine Flu has been declared by the World Health Organization (WHO) as a “public health emergency.” And as of this moment (hoping that this news will change), the CDC (Center for Disease Control) says that it cannot be contained or controlled.
WHAT TO DO IN THE FACE (or in the sneeze) OF SWINE FLU?
1. Wash Your Hands and Wash Them AGAIN!! And again. … This may sound like a ‘duh’ moment (vs. an aHa moment), but sanitizing your hands if your best defense! Be sure to use soap and wash for 30 seconds!! No quickies. According to the CDC approximately 80 percent of all infections are spread by hands! If a sink and soap are not readily available, toss a handful of hand-sanitizers that with 60 percent alcohol content.
2. Steer Clear of Crowds – If you don’t have to be in the mix of large groups, simply don’t. It’s a numbers of game, and you are less likely to catch something if less people are sneezing on or around you! If you absolutely must, seriously consider wearing a surgical or dental facemask. They are not foolproof, but helpful. AND if you feel it’s not a great fashion statement, simply draw something clever and colorful on it before wearing. Coordinate with your outfits. Okay, I’m half kidding, but if you can’t laugh, you’re really sunk! Truly, no point to getting depressed and adding to the problem!
3. Treatment (not foolproof, but hopeful) – Swine Flu symptoms are much like the regular flu: fever, body aches, sore throat, cough, runny nose, vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. If you do not feel well, for goodness sake, go see a doctor. I know that the tendency is to wait and see if ‘it’ goes away, but this ‘it’ may be deadly!
4. Knowledge Equals Health – The swine flu is resistant to two of four antiviral drugs approved for combating the flu: Symmetrel and Flumadine. But two newer antivirals – Tamiflu and Relenza – appear to work. So, go armed to your doctor with this information; just in case your doctor has a case of the Swine Flu him/herself and can’t remember!!! Ultimately, YOU are in charge of your health.
Have a good day!!!! (No, seriously, I mean it!) Be in the moment and enjoy life!
More ‘Enjoyable’ Links:
Scientists Say: Obesity Causes Global Warming
Dr. Laura: Mean-Spirited; Anti-Fat
Starve a Fever? Feed a Cold?
What is the FLU? Will it KILL YOU???
Spread the healthy word … NOT the icing!
Serious information/source of this article is Ben Sherwood.
I am merely lightening the landscape and helping to spread the healthy word.
Follow Janice on Twitter:
Janice Taylor is a Life & Wellness Coach, specializing in weight loss, reinvention, transformation & happiness, author, seminar leader and 50-pound-BIG-Time-LOSER! Write Janice for an Introductory Coaching Session.
For more motivation and inspiration, join the Kick in the Tush Club: Beliefnet Chapter.
Pick up a copy of Janice’s latest: All Is Forgiven, Move ON ~ Our Lady of Weight Loss’s 101 Fat-Burning Steps on Your Journey to Sveltesville!
“Janice Taylor is a certain kind of kooky genius ~ see if her idiosyncratic diet plan will work for you.” ~ O, The Oprah Magazine
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Our Lady Of Weightloss"Janice Taylor is a 'kooky genius'"
~ O, The Oprah Magazine
Janice Taylor is a Weight Loss Coach and Certified Hypnotist, author, artist and motivational speaker. She is the author of Our Lady of Weight Loss: Miraculous and Motivational Musings from the Patron Saint of Permanent Fat Removal and All Is Forgiven, Move On: Our Lady of Weight Loss's 101 Fat-Burning Steps on Your Journey to Sveltesville (publication date May 15, 2008). Janice is also the creator of the popular e-newsletter Kick in the Tush Club and a 50-pound big-time-loser.
Books By Janice:
- #OneWord Thursday: 11 #Cousins Day Quotes
- Tasty Tidbit: How to Measure Success?
- Kick in the Tush Tuesday: Are Alien Forces Force Feeding You?
- Puzzled? How to Pet a Puppy…on National Eat Junk Day???
- Eat This: Lose Weight – Cucumber Noodles and Feta Salad
- #OneWord Thursday: Do you have the courage to #Dream?
- 70 Wants: Tell Me What YOU Want
- Kick in the Tush Tuesday: Do You Suffer from Confirmatory Bias Disorder?
- Puzzled? Coffee First, Bastille Day to Follow!
- Eat This : Lose Weight – A Lip-Smackin’ Side of Israeli CousCous