One City

One City

Mindful wedding planning part two: Ceremony reading

posted by Kirsten Firminger

Following up on last week’s post, here is a wonderful reading I ran across while looking for something that reflected our values to be read during the ceremony. It reminded me of some of the previous discussions we have had on the Buddhist approach to marriage:

From “Gift From The Sea” by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

“When you love someone, you do not love them all the time, in exactly the same way, from moment to moment. It is an impossibility. It is even a lie to pretend to. And yet this is exactly what most of us demand. We have so little faith in the ebb and flow of life, of love, of relationships. We leap at the flow of the tide and resist in terror its ebb. We are afraid it will never return. We insist on permanency, on duration, on continuity; when the only continuity possible, in life as in love, is in growth, in fluidity – in freedom, in the sense that the dancers are free, barely touching as they pass, but partners in the same pattern.

The only real security is not in owning or possessing, not in demanding or expecting, not in hoping, even. Security in a relationship lies neither in looking back to what was in nostalgia, nor forward to what it might be in dread or anticipation, but living in the present relationship and accepting it as it is now. Relationships must be like islands, one must accept them for what they are here and now, within their limits – islands, surrounded and interrupted by the sea, and continually visited and abandoned by the tides.”

Patrick Groneman

posted June 11, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Very beautiful quote.

Megan Eckman

posted June 12, 2009 at 4:14 pm

That’s lovely! Great choice. If you’re looking for someone to handwrite your invitations or place cars, please let me know. I’m a trained illustrator and calligrapher so I know my way around an ink bottle.

Wedding Planning Bay Area

posted June 16, 2009 at 6:52 am

This quote is unforgettable, a handwritten invitation with this quote will make a perfect wedding card.

wedding napkins

posted April 14, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I agree, the quote is simply inspiring one. I guess, this tells us that love is life.

Chatterberries

posted July 25, 2010 at 10:11 pm

This is absolutely one of the best and inspiring note about relationships and about love.

Emily Patterson:The Expert in Wedding Planning

posted July 28, 2010 at 9:51 am

Indeed! This note really helps me in understanding my partner. Thanks a lot for sharing this.

Marieanne Hodson: The Wedding Fairy Planner

posted August 11, 2010 at 10:24 pm

My husband and I have been married for 17 years now and every once in a while we give each other an inspirational reading or quote about love or marriage or friendship etc. I keep them on the fridge where we can both read them again and again. One of my favourites is called
“The Art Of Marriage” by Cliff Cullen.
“A good marriage must be created.
In the art of marriage the little things are the big things.
It is never being too old to hold hands.
It is remembering to say, “I love you”, at least once each day.
It is never going to sleep angry.
It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives.
It is standing together facing the world.
It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family.
It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.
It is having the capacity to forgive and forget.
It is in giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow.
It is finding room for the things of the spirit.
It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.
It is not only marrying the right partner,
It is being the right partner.”

Anna | wedding Napkin

posted December 20, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Very interesting note. Thanks for sharing. :)