Now that I know everyone’s top ten albums, what about books?
If I was packing and could only bring ten books, I’d pick the following…wrapped in sheets of poems numerous as styrofoam peanuts, of course… (Rilke! Rumi! Sexton! Whitman! the Beats!)
And if I contradict myself…well, you know what Walt says….
1. Catcher in the Rye -Salinger
2. Nightwood -Djuna Barnes
3. When Kafka Was the Rage -Anatole Broyard
4. When I Was Five I Killed Myself -Howard Buten
5. Echo -Francesca Lia Block (runner-ups: Weetzie Bat and I Was A Teenage Fairy)
6. Narcissus and Goldmund -Herman Hesse
7. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory -Roald Dahl
8. The Bell Jar -Sylvia Plath
9. The Power of Now -Eckart Tolle
10. A blank notebook to write my own, even if it doesn’t read as good later
(my apologies to all those great books I can’t fit here or am forgetting…I feel like I’m trying to remember my list of ‘thank you’s at the Oscars the the exit music is playing……)
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog