On the Front Lines of the Culture Wars

On the Front Lines of the Culture Wars

Does God know what you need?

“One night I had worked hard to help a mother in the labor ward; but in spite of all we could do, she died, leaving us with a tiny, premature baby and a crying two-year-old daughter,” recounts veteran African missionary Dr. Helen Roseveare. ”We would have difficulty keeping the baby alive as we had no incubator. We had no electricity to run an incubator.”

It was the 1950s. Dr. Roseveare was serving in the Belgian Congo with World Evangelization for Christ.

“We also had no special feeding facilities,” she recalls. “Although we lived on the equator, nights were often chilly with treacherous drafts. One student midwife went for the box we had for such babies and the cotton wool that the newborn would be wrapped in.

“Another went to stoke up the fire and fill a hot-water bottle. She came back shortly in distress to tell me that in filling the bottle, it had burst (rubber perishes easily in tropical climates).

“’And it is our last hot water bottle!’ she exclaimed. As in the west, it is no good crying over spilled milk, so in Central Africa it might be considered no good crying over burst water bottles. They do not grow on trees and there are no drugstores down forest pathways.

“All right,” I said, “put the baby as near the fire as you safely can and sleep between the baby and the door to keep it free from drafts. Your job is to keep the baby warm.”

A native of Northern Ireland, Dr. Roseveare is the author of a number of books about her years of service, including Give Me This Mountain, He Gave Us a Valley, Living Sacrifice and Living Faith, in which this story is told — and which she confirms is true.

The following noon, she recounts, “as I did most days, I went to have prayers with any of the orphanage children who chose to gather with me. I gave the youngsters various suggestions of things to pray about and told them about the tiny baby. I explained our problem about keeping the newborn warm enough, mentioning the hot water bottle and that the baby could so easily die if it got chills.

“I also told them of the two-year-old sister crying because her mother had died.”

One ten-year-old girl, Ruth, “began to pray with the usual blunt conciseness of our African children,” recalls Dr. Roseveare.

“Please, God,” she prayed, “send us a hot water bottle today. It’ll be no good tomorrow, God, as the baby will be dead, so please send it this afternoon.”

“While I gasped inwardly at the audacity of the prayer,” recalls Dr. Roseveare, the child added, “And while You are about it, would You please send a dolly for the little girl so she”ll know You really love her?”

“As often with children’s prayers, I was put on the spot. Could I honestly say ‘Amen?’

“I just did not believe that God would do this.

“Oh, yes, I know that He can do everything; the Bible says so. But there are limits, aren’t there? The only way God could answer this particular prayer would be by sending me a parcel from home. I had been in Africa for almost four years at that time and I had never, ever received a package from home.

“Anyway, if anyone did send me a parcel, who would put in a hot-water bottle? I lived on the equator!”

Halfway through the afternoon, while she was teaching in the nurses’  training school, a message came that there was a car at my front door. By the time I reached home, the car had gone, but there on the veranda was a large box.

“I felt tears pricking my eyes,” she recalls. “I could not open it alone, so I sent for the orphanage children. Together we pulled off the string, carefully undoing each knot. We folded the paper, taking care not to tear it” – since everything must be re-used and then re-used in rural Africa.

“Excitement was mounting,” she remembers. “Some 30 or 40 pairs of eyes were focused on the large cardboard box.”

From the top, she lifted out brightly-colored, knitted shirts. “Eyes sparkled as I gave them out. Then there were knitted bandages for our leprosy patients. The children looked a little bored.”

Then came a box of mixed raisins and dried seedless grapes — great for snacks.

“Then, as I put my hand in again, I felt the — could it really be? I grasped it and pulled it out. Yes, a brand new, rubber hot-water bottle. I cried. I had not asked God to send it. I had not truly believed that He could.”

Little Ruth was in the front row of the children. She rushed forward, declaring, “If God has sent the bottle, He must have sent the dolly, too!”

Rummaging down to the bottom of the box, she pulled out a small, beautifully-dressed dolly. Her eyes shone! She had never doubted!

Looking up at me, she asked, “Can I go over with you and give this dolly to that little girl, so she”ll know that Jesus really loves her?”

“’Of course,’ I replied,” remembers Dr. Roseveare.

That parcel had been on the way for five whole months, packed up by my former Sunday school class, whose leader had heard and obeyed God’s prompting to send a hot water bottle, even to the equator. And one of the girls had put in a dolly for an African child — five months before, in answer to the believing prayer of a ten-year-old to bring it “that afternoon.”

“Before they call, I will answer,” promises Isaiah 65:24.

“Prayer is one of the best free gifts we receive. There is no cost, but a lot of rewards,” writes Dr. Roseveare. “Let’s continue praying for one another.”

Dr. Roseveare today

Dr. Roseveare’s story was told in the 1980s bestselling Daylight Must Come, a horrifying account of her surviving the 1964 revolt that gained independence for the Congo with brutal loss of life and vengeance taken against foreigners. She and several nuns were taken prisoner by rebel forces and for five months endured repeated abuse and violent assault. She fled the Congo on her release, but returned in 1966 to assist in the rebuilding of the nation.

She offers this prayer — a suggestion for all of us.

“This awesome prayer takes less than a minute,” she notes.

“Heavenly Father, I ask you to bless my friends reading this. I ask You to minister to their spirit. Where there is pain, give them Your peace and mercy. Where there is self doubting, release a renewed confidence to work through them Where there is tiredness or exhaustion, I ask You to give them understanding, guidance, and strength. Where there is fear, reveal our love and release to them Your courage. Bless their finances, give them greater vision and raise up leaders and friends to support and encourage them. I ask You to do these things in Jesus’ name. Amen.”

P.S. Passing this on to anyone you consider a friend will bless you both. Passing this on to one not considered a friend is something Christ would do. CLICK HERE to send this story to some you care about!

Nita Hedrick

posted April 2, 2011 at 5:40 am

This was a wonderful story. I recieced a blessing from it. Thank you..

T. Whyte

posted April 2, 2011 at 5:52 am

This is such an excellent story. Sometimes we pray without having any faith in what we prayed about. The bible said the little child shall lead, we all can learn from this child.

Charles Manyara

posted April 2, 2011 at 6:28 am

this is an encouraging story. it has really touched me. Our Heavenly God knows what we need and when we need it.My heart is boosted in faith and I will always trust when I pray. Amen.

charlie f jones jr

posted April 2, 2011 at 6:31 am

i would like to say that this is a very nice story, which everyone should be able to have faith in God, and let God have his way,because we all need to have the same belief as the little girl,thanks for shareing this,God bless.

albe

posted April 2, 2011 at 8:47 am

Submit your plans to God ,and they will come true,just another sucess story just when you think you cant bear anymore Jesus Arrives

Tarsha Epps-Rodgers

posted April 2, 2011 at 10:37 am

This story was truly a blessing for me.. It tells me that when you PRAY & BELIEVE expect a miracle!! GOD IS AWESOME.

Evangelist Dorothy Baker

posted April 2, 2011 at 11:36 am

I needed this story today for the things I am going throug with in my life now > it has truly blessed my soul today > Thank GOD and thank you beliefnet.

jackie howard

posted April 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm

this is the greatet story of faith i have ever heard if we could all have the faith of a little child

J. T-Graden

posted April 2, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Oh magnify the Lord with me for he is worthy to be praised. God definetly know what we have need of, and he does answer even before we can ask. I needed this message today as I’m going thru some trying times and my faith level is not where it should be. I thank God for the prompting of the holy spirit to read this story. My soul has been blessed by the witness of this childs faith. I thank God for this website that is sharing the good news of the gospel.

Cindy Appiah

posted April 2, 2011 at 4:36 pm

This is a wonderful testimony. He says in His word that anyone who wants to enter into the kingdom of heaven should humble himself like a child. Children are in deed, a blessing to us.

sometimes we feel dejected, we feel God has forgotten about us but it is good to know that God’s delayance does not mean denial.
May His word always keep us strong. AAmeeeeeeeeen.

President Obama fails key test for Antichrists: confesses Jesus is Lord
President Barack Obama passed a key test Monday night in case anybody is worried that he is the Antichrist. Speaking at a campaign fundraiser at the House of Blues in Los Angeles, Obama was interrupted by a man identified as David Serrano who repeatedly yelled that "Jesus is God." As Se

posted 7:53:12pm Sep. 28, 2011 | read full post »

Michael Moore: America would welcome a fat president such as Chris Christie
Asked by Joy Behar onHeadline News whether America would vote for a "fat" candidate for President, controversial film-maker Michael Moore, who has never been accused of being too skinny, responded that most of America is fat and would probably identify with an overweight Commander-in-Chief. Histo

posted 10:27:30am Sep. 28, 2011 | read full post »

ACLU, Planned Parenthood combine to fight Mississippi constitutional amendment
Planned Parenthood and the American Civil Liberties Union have joined forces to create the pro-abortion “Mississippians for Healthy Families” with a goal of defeating a constitutional amendment limiting abortion in the Magnolia State. Christine Dhanagom of LifeSiteNews writes that "Yes on

posted 11:55:16am Sep. 27, 2011 | read full post »

Scientists tell pollsters religion and science not irreconcilable
Are there irreconcilable differences between faith and science? Not in the opinion of prominent scientists who participated in a five-year study by Rice University. Researchers there found that only a minority of scientists questioned at major research universities say that religion and scien

posted 3:13:07pm Sep. 23, 2011 | read full post »

Wikileaks: U.S. Embassy criticized Catholic influences on Poland
U.S. Embassy officials in Warsaw, Poland, under the Obama administration complained that Catholic Church doctrine is a major source of “homophobia” in the heavily Catholic country, according to diplomatic cables released by Wikileaks. The messages from the American embassy in Poland's capit

posted 3:51:00pm Sep. 08, 2011 | read full post »