J Walking

J Walking

Humility and graciousness

posted by J-Walking

Yesterday, President Bush addressed a gathering of Democratic congressmen and had this to say:

“…I welcome debate in a time of war and I hope you know that” …[and] disagreeing with him over the war – as many in the room did – does not mean “you don’t share the same sense of patriotism I do.

“You can get that thought out of your mind, if that’s what some believe,” the president said. “These are tough times, but there’s no doubt in my mind that you want to secure this homeland as much as I do.”

In return, Democrats…applauded.

I hope that in this most unexpected of times when we have divided government and everyone is poised to jump on biting partisanship that that humility and graciousness will beget more of the same.

Donny

posted February 4, 2007 at 1:13 pm

David, 100,000 votes seperated Richard Nixon from John Kennedy in 1960. And in Chicago, many dead people voted for Kennedy. The wide divide between Republicans and Democrats is nothing new. What is new is the cowardice and Marxism that now exists within the Democrat platform. No American should have anything to do with what the Democrat party has become. My father, a decorated Marine, wouldn’t recognize the commie pandering group of leftists that now rule his once decent political party.Sorry to present the truth. I know it is no longer tolerated to do so.

Sandiford

posted February 4, 2007 at 2:00 pm

David, As long as the extreme elements in both parties reflect their one dimensional and often mistaken beliefs about their opponnents there will be no national healing. Change will only happen when both groups look to the common ground they share.

Frank

posted February 4, 2007 at 3:06 pm

Pertaining to the context of this short blog post/thread, I think humility does not play a major role. Humility means that impoverished people deserve the basic decency the rest of us seem to appreciate. So humility is a very loose term here. Graciousness is the key. It’s gracious and/or politically correct to appear bipartisan. And Congress is being NONSENSICAL when it acts this way. It has not even reached the latent stages of redefining its own identity or image. In other words, Congress is evolving – hopefully.

Thinker

posted February 4, 2007 at 7:56 pm

When I was a little girl, I was invited to a birthday party and the little girl who invited me was – well – my own worst enemy. Her mother was my scout leader and would bend rules for her daughter and from my first day in scouts – decided I was from a family of which she could not approve (still cannot figure that one out). So scouts became awful and I was to go to a birthday party from hell and take the little cheater a present. My mother kept emphasizing “manners”; and told me to pretend the little girl was my friend. I went – shyly stood back as the little girl was made the winner in every game – got my little party bag and went home. The next day in school, I heard the nasty one talkiing to all the cool girls in school. ” My mother made me invite her. She wasn’t as bad as I thought. She dressed up and everything.” For some reason, that was the memory that came to me in reading your post David. Everybody wants to follow the rules and be civil and good mannered, but the fact is – nobody in this group has any real admiration of one another. Works both ways. They have to begin somewhere and perhaps this Democratic gathering is a place for the birth of civility and a common admiration. Kierkgaard said something about modern humanity no longer having the capacity for admiration – just resentment. How do we overcome such a thing. Long slow simmering resentment – as we see in posts from some – creates only a hatefilled and ungracious world. Not much you can do with such a world. You just sit there and simmer and write really awful things and call it truth. A difficult place to live.

Frank

posted February 4, 2007 at 8:38 pm

Hello, thinker. That’s an interesting experience. I had something similar happen to me. Using this example, maybe the prideful mother represents the U.S. and China is the one dressed up, the rather more firm of foot one, coming to the party. To me, it seems like the prideful adult here would be us, the U.S. A prideful adult must not look at humility as a goal to achieve but rather a lifelong and daily practice. I don’t see this burgeoning on my t.v. yet. I don’t read this on the book shelves of my neighborhood grocery store. I think if sound leadership can galvanize something around health and wellness, we may actually steer a satisfactory agenda in Washington and most importantly secure our respect and history abroad.

Philo

posted February 5, 2007 at 4:21 am

Donny, you are something else man. I bet you thought McCarthy was a great man too. Unbelievable. I bet you think GWB is a great president too. His foreign policy decisions are going to be an albatross around the necks of the citizenry for at least the next 20 years.

Donny

posted February 5, 2007 at 4:59 am

Philo, You just can’t deal with the fact that Democrats have sunk into being communists. Marxism driving them and all.The only thing I agree with Democrats about is that Muslims are not worth dying for.The GOP at least offers true individualism and a path that one can walk without having to worry about some Democrat taxing more money out of the mouths of your children. I have no respect for what the Democrats have become. None. Marxism and Humanism are both repugnant to me. Meaning of course that Democrats are not people I will ever support. And this new Christian mouthings of the Democrats? Upon testing, it stacks up in the bad category at best, and the heresy depeartment at worst. How are they not Molexh worshippers? Whatever the liberal-progressive Democrats think they are trying to accomplish by sounding like Christians, it will go the way of all deception sooner or later. Seriously, Christians are not as stupid as Democrats think.Taxation Democrat-wise is communism. Why not be truthful about that? Socialism is what drives these cretins. How can there be any togetherness with those kinds of people, if you are an American? Look at the words “Pro Choice?” Why can’t they just be proud of killing inconvenient children as a form of birth control? Ruling as totalitarians over the populace is the mandate of Leftists (Democrats). Did genocide bother Stalin? No. And power to decide everyones lives is a Democrat dream. Really the lines drawn are that clear.

c kitty

posted February 5, 2007 at 7:52 am

Like a lot of others, I have experienced the kind of treatment described by Thinker. The pain and embarrassment come back so swiftly at the thought of it. What we do in this world, even small acts, can have a long life. It is ours to choose, whether to behave with humility and graciousness or with meanness. We should remember that God does not judge us by what others say about us and how others treat us, but rather how we behave toward others. So Donny can rant all day about those he deems to be evil, and God will make His own decision about those folks. Donny only impunes himself with all that vitriol. Even though I am one he hates, I will not do anything but pray he finds his way out of his unhappiness. If Mr Bush had practiced a little more humility and graciousness in the last 6 years, perhaps he would not now by a target of so much Bush bashing. It wasn’t so long ago that his administration and supporters were branding anyone who dissented from Bush as being traitorous UnAmericans, threatening their lives and careers. Had there been a little more humility and graciousness in those days, there might be a little more trust and support now. What goes around comes around. Finally, I would like to see a little more humilty and graciousness in these comments, rather than the too usual oneupsmanship and “I’m right,you’re wrong” that seems to dominate.

Philo

posted February 5, 2007 at 12:25 pm

Donny said: “The GOP at least offers true individualism and a path that one can walk without having to worry about some Democrat taxing more money out of the mouths of your children.” True individualism that includes wiretaps on the citizenry without warrants, is that type of individualism you are referring to here. Or how about the suspension of Habeus Corpus for non-Americans facing a charge within the U.S. borders. That is another triumph of GOP commitment to individualism. No. instead the GOP runs up ginormous debts that will saddle your children for decades. It seems to me Clinton left the country in great economic condition prior to the GWB administration which has spent money like a sailor on shore-leave. Try taking off the rose-coloured spectacles for a moment, and you may find that your beloved GOP, (or its current incarnation at least), has restricted your cherished individual rights while creating a level of debt that will take “money out of the mouths of your children” for decades as one of its legacies. Donny said:”Taxation Democrat-wise is communism. Why not be truthful about that? Socialism is what drives these cretins. How can there be any togetherness with those kinds of people, if you are an American? Look at the words “Pro Choice?” Why can’t they just be proud of killing inconvenient children as a form of birth control? Ruling as totalitarians over the populace is the mandate of Leftists (Democrats). Did genocide bother Stalin? No. And power to decide everyones lives is a Democrat dream. Really the lines drawn are that clear.” Your meds, take them every day, whether you feel you need them or not.

Thinker

posted February 5, 2007 at 1:47 pm

I suspect Donny can’t help his rather awful ranting, so I find it best to ignore. But, the tensions between those of us who know that there is a graciousness at the heart of the universe as oppossed to the punitive and vindictive force that will “get” those we don’t like. Mr. Rogers – once said after hearing a story of a group of motorists on a freeway, stopping to help an old turtle cross the road. he said, Oh, you must tell that story. We need stories that help us know that there is a graciousness at the heart of the universe. Fred Rogers never mentioned God, never got anyone all het up about the evil of another and was the most Godly of human beings. Our task is to know that God is not violent – we are and when we learn it – we begin to change – it is called conversion. All the mean spirited, hateful people in the world are capable of discovering that God is not like them. They create God in their image and do not trust that God is the creator.

Pacific231

posted February 6, 2007 at 3:24 pm

C’mon Donny. Calling the Democrats “Marxists” or “communists” … dude, that’s so 1980′s! Democrats may not be as rich as many of the Republicans, but Al Gore sure ain’t starving. Methinks Gore as just one example isn’t interested in turning our government and economy into a communist one just yet. But hey, thanks for playing.

Donny

posted February 6, 2007 at 7:47 pm

Paciic123, Hugo Chavez is the heroe of the Left. He went dictator almost faster then Pelosi did. Peruse the Democrats and you see filthy rich people that live far away from the poor. Like the Hollywood hypocrites. No Section Eight housing in Bel Air, Beverly Hills or malibu. I’ll bet they have their money off-shore or protected by conservative accountants.Probably not a problem to pay sixty-percent taxes when you’re making five-million dollars a picture. Think Chavez is living in a hut now?

Bill

posted February 7, 2007 at 6:39 pm

But what about Republican cowards who spent years actively avoiding defending the US? And while someone’s father may have combat decorations, you don’t. Would your father recognize you?