Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Top 100 Greatest Albums

posted by Scot McKnight
I saw this at Amazon the other day: What is your top five greatest albums of all times?
Click on the image and it will give you Amazon’s Top 100.
Cool to see some of those old albums.
Top 100

Scott Morizot

posted October 16, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I’m not sure I have just five, and I am sure that any five I list would change every time I tried to answer the question. But here’s five that come to mind now. These are from childhood on. But they are ones where I knew all the songs on the album.
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band – The Beatles
Blood on the Tracks – Bob Dylan
Strangelove – Depeche Mode
The Stranger – Billy Joel
Purple Rain – Prince

Steven

posted October 16, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Mr. Mister – Welcome to The Real World
Steven Curtis Chapman- Speechless
Michael Jackson – HIStory Volume 1
Harry Connick Jr. – Come By Me
John Williams – Star Wars soundtrack (1977)

chaplain mike

posted October 16, 2009 at 1:21 pm

The Amazon list is for LIVE albums and they made a huge omission when they left out the Allmann Brothers Fillmore East album, probably the best live album of all time.
For albums in general, my list (today) would be:
1. Graceland, Paul Simon
2. Revolver, Beatles
3. Blue, Joni Mitchell
4. Thriller, Michael Jackson
5. Still Life (Talking), Pat Metheny

mike

posted October 16, 2009 at 1:30 pm

1. electric ladyland – jimi hendrix
2. august and everything after – counting crows
3. the complete recordings – robert johnson
4. unplugged – eric clapton
5. axis bold as love – jimi hendrix
(this list would be different tomorrow, and different again the next day)

Richard Jones

posted October 16, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Top Five? Tough. So many artists albums are uneven. But I would say:
1-U2 Joshua Tree (Why has no one else mentioned this? It should be on everyone’s top five–it’s a given.)
2-Bob Dylan Time Out of Mind Underappreciated, but full of Dylan soul.
3-Moby Play The only CD you really need.
4-Bruce Springsteen The Rising Full of gems. Full.
5-Jeff Johnson Brendan’s Prayer (or Patrick–both great)

Mich

posted October 16, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Chaplain Mike,
Amen Brother! Any list of the so called Greatest Live Albums of all time that omits the Allman Bros Live at the Fillmore East is a joke.
When the Lord invented the slide guitar he gave it to Brother Duane.

Rhett

posted October 16, 2009 at 4:42 pm

U2 – Achtung Baby
Radiohead – Kid A
Led Zeppelin – III
Crowded House – Woodface
AC/DC – Back in Black
Honorable mention to Arcade Fire – Funeral and Wilco – Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. But that’s cheating, isn’t it?

Gary Feister

posted October 16, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Hard to choose, but here goes…based on their permanent and lasting influence on my life.
1. Welcome To Paradise – Randy Stonehill
2. Surfing With The Alien – Joe Satriani
3. The White Album – The Beatles
4. Only Visiting This Planet – Larry Norman
5. School’s Out – Alice Cooper

Krister

posted October 16, 2009 at 6:46 pm

a mix of styles but here we go:
1. U2 – Joshua tree
2. Van Morisson – Hymns to the silence
3. Larry Norman – Only Visiting this planet
4. Beatles – Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
5. Handel – Messiah

Ted M. Gossard

posted October 16, 2009 at 10:13 pm

I wondered how I ended up playing Deep Purple. I had the live album listed there, very good as I recall. Over now listening to the Machine Head album- 1972 on YouTube. I used to drive my parents crazy with my music, I’m sure.

brambonius

posted October 17, 2009 at 7:36 am

eh, I’m a different generation, and another continent.. (and just contrary)
sufjan stevens – seven swans
dEUS – in a bar, under the sea
U2 – achtung baby
souljunk – 1950
16 horsepower – low estate
may be something else tomorrow

beckyr

posted October 17, 2009 at 12:47 pm

What? No Joni Mitchell. Her first is great – Song to a Seagull. Then Santana. Santana not mentioned? sacrilege.

Anthony

posted October 17, 2009 at 1:17 pm

The following five have probably had the biggest influence in shaping and expressing my sensibilities toward music and life.
U2 – Achtung Baby