Homeshuling

Homeshuling

What’s even *fancier* than Valentine’s Day?

posted by Homeshuling

A few years ago, my daughters went to a Valentine making workshop at the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art. This is a gem of a museum, and the program was wonderful (my lack of enthusiasm for Valentine’s Day notwithstanding.) But while I sat there watching my girls potchke with collage materials for over an hour, I couldn’t help but think… wouldn’t it be great if they did this for Purim?
So this year I wrote a grant to offer a series of Jewish parent-child art workshops at a local art studio where Ella has taken some fabulous classes. Thanks to the generosity of the Harold Grinspoon Foundation Arts and Culture Initiative, yesterday we led the first of these events.
We started with these
and these
and of course, these.

A couple of hours (and a bunch of recycled cereal boxes) later, we came out with these

and also some of these

Our next workshop will be on March 28 (yes, I know it’s the day before Passover.) We’ll be learning book making techniques and doing something else really cool which we will decide upon in the next few days. I promise to post more pictures.
ps, doesn’t Zoe look cute working on her basket? The only problem is she worked so hard on it she refuses to give it away…

Leah Weiss Caruso

posted February 16, 2010 at 8:26 am

Super awesome :-) LOVE IT!

rachel besserman

posted February 16, 2010 at 9:03 am

Wowzas, what a feast of fun!

Jennifer Gruenhagen

posted February 16, 2010 at 10:01 am

What a great program!

Tzipporah

posted February 16, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Fabulous! The toddler has been helping me make hamantashen, but mostly wants to eat them. Not sure he’d have the patience for such a complicated craft project. Unless it involved adding Thomas the Tank stickers… :)

homeshuling

posted February 16, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I think this was a “5 and up” project-

Minnesota Mamaleh

posted February 16, 2010 at 2:43 pm

this is amazing amy! beautiful, engaging and meaningful…LOVE it! and, can i just say, eric carle museum…over-the-top WOW!

Juliet

posted February 16, 2010 at 4:44 pm

This is great! You are an inspiration.

Jena Strong

posted February 16, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Wow. Just the kind of pictures that make me long for a Jewish school experience for our kids!

homeshuling

posted February 16, 2010 at 6:06 pm

This comment closely resembles the many spam comments I get…..good thing I looked at the author’s name!

Rachel meytin

posted February 17, 2010 at 1:39 am

This looks like so much fun!! Where are you – I want to come to the next event! :)

homeshuling

posted February 17, 2010 at 7:45 am

Western Massachusetts —

Jess

posted February 17, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Book making! My dreams of knowing a bookie are coming true.

Faith

posted February 17, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I was one of the first 40 to read your blog. So proud of how many have joined. Still so enjoyable! Chag Semaach !