Fresh Living

Fresh Living

How to Cleanse Your Home with Sage

posted by hrossi

IMG_3897.JPG

Every life transition has its “zero hour,” that moment when everything that came before it is different from everything that comes after.  We hit that moment this weekend when the moving truck piled with our boxes pulled away from one house and into another.

The whole day was a blur of movement, decision-making (where should that table go?), worry (will the sofa fit through that doorway?), and stress (how many hours over the estimate is this going to take?!).  There was excitement too, chirping somewhere deep in the stress maelstrom, but it was hard to hear it.

And at the end of the day, Rob and I were left standing in our house.  To take it to the next level and make it our home, we did an on-the-fly version of a sage smudging, the ancient cleansing ritual used by Native American and shamanic cultures to remove negative energy from a space.

I’m not generally one for shamanic rituals, and I was certainly a little nervous about carrying a smoking stick around our brand new house.  But the move had been so stressful and mind-consuming that I wanted to do something to say, spiritually, that I was grateful that we were starting fresh, grateful to have the opportunity to create a new home in this lovely house, grateful that we were doing this together, and grateful that the “zero hour” was behind us.

In anticipation of this moment, I had asked my friend and colleague Laurie Sue Brockway, who is the keeper of all things inspirational, spiritual, and wise, for a ritual that we could try to close out the move and clear the house for our future life.  She immediately suggested the sage smudging, and told me how to do it.

How to Perform a Sage Cleansing Ritual

1.  Buy a sage smudge stick (mine was white sage and lavender, and I got it at a natural foods store) and find a bowl to hold it over (traditionally, abalone shell is used).  Also set up a cup of water to extinguish it after the ritual.

2.  Open every door and window in your house, and turn on fans if you have them.

3.  Light the stick, and when it catches fire, blow it out and allow the embers to start to smoke (like you would light incense).

4.  Set your intention for each room.  Say a prayer of cleansing.  Laurie Sue suggested, “I cleanse this room of any impurities, negativity, or anything that does  not suit or support the people that live here.”

5.  Walk around the room, waving the sage stick so its smoke drifts into corners, along walls, around windows, and along ceiling lines.  As you do, imagine the smoke absorbing negativity, problems from those who were in the space before you, toxicity, and anything else you want to go away.  See the smoke dissipating and floating out the windows, and imagine that bad energy flowing out of your space, making room for positive, fresh energy.

6.  After you’ve blessed every room, give yourself a sage shower.  Cup your hands over the smoke and “wash” your face with it, then wave it all over your body as you would in a water shower.  Visualize any residual negativity sailing out of your body, out of your home, and into oblivion.

7.  Extinguish the stick in the cup of water or – if your stick was very small or is almost done – flush it down the toilet.  You can also bury it in your back yard (if you are very sure that it is extinguished).

I have to say that I found genuine meaning in the ritual.  I felt like it made the space ours, it cleared away all of the anxiety and stress of the past few weeks, and left us with the opportunity to say, cleanly, we are grateful for this place.  Our place.  Our home.

Have you ever done a sage smudging?

Dena

posted July 27, 2009 at 5:03 pm

My soon to be mother-in-law did a sage smudging in my apartment a couple of months ago–after I’d lived there a little over a year. I don’t think I feel anything different, though I like to think the reason is because there was nothing “negative” there in the first place. I do wonder, however, if had the smudging been done when I first moved in, it would have taken me a lot less time to be comfortable with the place and truly feel it was my own.

Nicole R.

posted July 27, 2009 at 6:41 pm

I want to try the sage cleansing before I move into my new apartment. I wanted to know if you could suggest to me a way to cleanse my colon in a more holistic way?

Kathy

posted July 28, 2009 at 9:23 am

I have done sage smudging a handful of times in my home, but since I have asthma the smoke sometimes bothers me. I am also highly allergic to grass and one time someone thoughtfully gave me a “smudge stick” that almost did me in. Unbeknownst to me, it not only contained sage, but cedar and sweet GRASS as well. Thus, I more often use a spray form of smudging, which involves white sage, lavender and rose essential oils. I get my white sage oil from the Rosebud Lakota reservation. Good stuff.

Martin

posted April 19, 2010 at 12:43 am

You must respect the ceremony and feel the spiritual connection, otherwise it is all meaningless.
Use an abalone shell to contain the sage. The shell represents water.
The sage represents the earth. The smoke represents fire. Last element is air. Water/earth/fire/air.
Be in a spiritual frame of mind. You should pray or meditate prior to this home cleansing. Think about your past as well as that of the previous owners and what baggage may already have been in residence or is moving in with yourself. Be honest and seek a change in your house(your own body) as well as the home.
Believe and recieve the blessings of the ceremony. Respect the action and its purpose.
After cleansing my home, nearly 2 years after purchasing it, I have slept better, the tension in the home is very low and improved, and I feel at peace. I have repeated the smudging several times and each time I feel an improvement in both the home and its occupants.
Best to all who read this and find it helpful.

Sharon

posted June 22, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I was instructed to smudge in a counter clockwise motion. Is that true? This article was very helpful.

Rosalind

posted October 10, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I plan to do a cleansing prior to my son’s surgery this month. Is there a prefered sage and herb that promotes healing that someone would recommend? Thank you and God Bless. Roz

carmen

posted December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm

My mother’s Home Health Aide, tells me that she feel itching and smell an odor in my mother’s apartment. No there is no bed bugs. However she is Haitian and believes in voodo, which I rescept. She had a problem with a precious HHA who worked on Friday & Saturday. The HHA who works at night from 8:00PM -8:00AM told me that the HHA that works on Fri. & Sat. put toliet paper on the door. When she asked her what is that the HHA did not respond and left. She took the toliet p. to throw out only to find salt on my mother’s key hole. The next morning she started to fill itching. I let go of the HHA that works Fri. & Sat. Today, the HHA told me that she smelled a bad ordor in the elevator, I told her that it’s a senior citzen building and it could be anthing. Garbage or maybe a dead body that was carried out in the elevator, who knows. Please help me what kind of cleansing should I do to make her feel better. I really would appriate your advise and help. Thanks.

Wapani Savage

posted December 20, 2010 at 3:47 pm

One should perform the smudging in a clockwise/Sun-wise direction.

qt

posted December 21, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Hi carmen sorry to hear about your mom but they got a website called the magickal cat. I know that they might have something to help your mom I know it helped me out a lot and i learned and got a lot of good information from the website. They also have stuff you can purchase to help your mom since you said she believes in voodoo.I know people can be very evil when it comes to stuff like that i’ve seen it first hand. I hope this helps you out a little and let me know how your is doing.

Nicola

posted January 4, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I am currently living in my grandmother who is now deceased. last night I heard footsteps outside my door and when I got up to see who was there it was nothing. This was about 2am. An hour later I was asleep in bed and it felt like someone was holding a pillow over my head and I was trying to turn my head to scream but was unable to. This was not the first time something like this happened to me. The first time it felt like something was on my back and I was trying to scream but was unable to. What should I do?

Ana

posted January 10, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Hello, I live in Brazil, and have been experiencing a lot (I mean – A LOT) of negative things happening to me, my personal belongins, my house and myself. I would like to know if there is anything else I can do besides cleasing my house with sage. I´m happily married, I´m a mother to a 3 year old girl and 7 healthy dogs. I live in a house with lots of nature surrounding. Looking fwd to your reply. Thank you!

Debra

posted March 17, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I LIVE WITH A LONG TIME FAMILY FRIEND WHO TOOK ME IN WHEN I HAD NO WHERE ELSE TO GO. SHE STRONGLY BELIEVES THAT SHE IS BEING HAUNTED BY EVIL SPIRITS, A GHOST, OR ENTITY. SHE NEEDS HELP DESPERATELY. SHE IS TORMENTED DAILY..SHE CANT SLEEP, WHEN SHE DOES IS TORMENTED BY WHATEVER IT IS IN HER SLEEP. LAST WEEK SHE CALLED TO ME IN THE EARLY MORNING HOURS, I FOUND HER CRYING HYSTERICALLY SAYING THAT SOMETHING WAS SITTING ON HER CHEST AND SHE COULD NOT BREATH. SHE ASKED ME TO BLESS HER AND HER ROOM SO THAT SHE COULD SLEEP. I HAVE SOME HOLY WATER FROM THE SAN XAVIER MISSION IN TUCSON ARIZONA. I DID AND SHE WAS ABLE TO SLEEP. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS WILL SAGE WORK BETTER IN THIS PARTICULAR SITUATION. SHE HAS A SISTER WHO ALSO IS FOLLOWED BY SPIRITS OR SOMETHING. I HAVE SOME HAND PICKED SAGE FROM TUCSON, AND IM TRYING TO READ ABOUT HOW TO CLEANSE A HOME AND A PERSON. ANY INSIGHT YOU CAN GIVE ME WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU.

don

posted April 20, 2011 at 4:08 pm

i have a bad vibe in my house i hope it works. aren’t you supposed to go in a counter clock wise motion to ward off evil spirits? or is it clock wise i need help!!!

Pingback: Adelaide Real Estate – Get out of the way of your Sale ..

T.L. Robertson

posted May 5, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I have moved several times in the last few years. Strange things keeping happening to me. I wake in the middle of the night feeling of someone standing over me and once even woke from a bad dream and had my hair pulled so hard my head was forced back down the the pillow. Now locked doors open and lights turn on and off by theirself through out the night. I am feeling different myself. I no longer want to leave my home for any reasons. I no longer sleep. And I feel something here cold and dark. This has been going on for many years but until now I have never spoke of the occurances. However, they are becoming more intense. Please help. Advice needed.

Ms. S

posted May 11, 2011 at 11:01 pm

My Sister and I have been magnets for “strange happenings” since we were small children. I recently moved in with my Fionce and although I never sensed any negativity in the house before, now that my two boys and I have moved in and many changes have been made to the house, the “strange happenings” are beginning…footsteps (both in the house and on the front and back porches), faint conversations in distant rooms, frequently used items disapper only to be found later where they should be, or sometimes in ridiculous places, and objects have a frequent tendency to “fall” off of counters and shelves. I would like to cleanse my house before it makes the kids uncomfortable or scared. We have a wonderful happy family, I want to have a wonderful happy house too! Please help.

Sherry

sorrows of a mother

posted June 8, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I am at wits end about 3 yrs ago i have had my daughter walk away and not want anything to do with us. it just seems that everthing we do to get a lil ahead we get pushed back. we always seem to hit a brick wall. i am going to try this because i just donet know what else to do.

Alice

posted July 12, 2011 at 9:56 am

I smudge as often as I feel that my husband; myself or home needs it. I’m glad I read this article since I haven’t opened windows and doors in the past but I will do so in the future – it makes sense. We also used the smudging ritual as part of our wedding ceremony – almost 6 years later all is well. We’ve had our ups and downs – but what healthy marriage doesn’t. I believe in this practice – I can genuinely feel heaviness lift and leave after smudging!

Mary Anne Thompson

posted August 12, 2011 at 11:01 am

Yes! I have Native American blood from my Father’s side of the family. I have learned we are from the Blackfoot Tribe. I started studying under my Shaman “Bear” back in 1997 and learned about ceremonies including smudging prior to his passing in 1999. I have since chosen to walk a Native American path spiritually. I embrace the “old ways” I pray to Mother Earth/Father Sky or Great Spirit. I use sage as well as other herbs in my daily rituals. I also make medicine bags, dream catchers and do animal totem readings for people. I am a Native American Medicine woman who grows her own herbs and vegetables. I follow the Farmers Almanac, I plant and harvest by the seasons and the phases of the Moon. Since we are made up primarily of water we are very in tune with the Moon and planets. I am blessed to have learned of the Red Road and give thanks to Grandfather for the wisdom of the Elders! Wanka Tanka

Marty

posted August 13, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I have been traveling through New Mexico, Arizona and currently Colorado. It was amazing to see bush after bush of sage in New Mexico–wild sage! I picked tons of it. Once I get back home, I intend to make some sticks with lavender, garlic and sage to cleanse my home. I was lucky to find a book in National Monument regarding all sage uses. Will let you know how it went.

Patricia

posted August 24, 2011 at 4:13 pm

When, I moved into my house. I did it before I brought anything into the house.Now if the energy isn’t right or everyone are at each other. I know it time for a spiritual cleaning

Pamela

posted August 24, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I have never done a sage smudging before, however, I am going to try this. My husband have so much negative vibes, even in church on Sundays he make negative comments about the way things are done. It is very draining fore me, because i endure this behavior at home as well. Remind you I endure this for the past 30/years. I pray everyday, but it seems like it’s getting worse. Help, help, help.

Glori

posted August 25, 2011 at 8:18 am

Do you have to dispose of the Sage ? Mine is a big one and I just let it burn and use it the next time. I do use the ashes to “cleanse myself”
I do the Sage cleaning in my house about once a month

Rita

posted August 25, 2011 at 10:08 am

I have when I moved into my home 30 years ago and so happy to find this. Because my son is buying his first home and this is the first year that I grew it. Today I am drying some it it to make bundles to bless and cleanse my sons new home.

Loretta

posted August 25, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Thank you so much for the info. I would like very much to do the sage smudging, my mother would come home and ask me what is that she smell. I would say and she would think something else.She lives with my husband ad me. Should I do it when I know she out for about 5 or 6 hours? (HELP)

Rona

posted September 5, 2011 at 10:48 am

I sage routinely after I clean my house. It’s my way of maintaing a sacred space in my home where all who enter feel welcome and at ease. It also eliminates any negative energy that may have built up during the week. I take special care in each room to bless the people that live here.

Novel1

posted October 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm

My daughter rented her own house out while accepting a job elsewhere and now the house has a ton of bad energy in it. Last renters went to jail and we had to evict the ones who “remained”. I am performing a broom and sage ceremony tonight with her on the property, then we will salt the outside perimeter just to be sure. The new renters who are eager to move in, want to buy the place next year — we don’t want any other renters affected by the “bad energy” left behind.

tanjai

posted November 10, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Thanks for the helpfull tips,My roomate passed away in my house from a brain anerism,I tred to revive him,but he was gone since then strange and unexplainable things have been happening,not only here but my neighbors as well,it makes me feel uneasy,and I want him to be at peace so I bout some smudge,hope it works

Melissa

posted November 15, 2011 at 1:41 am

Traditionally you’re supposed to keep the windows and doors closed until after you’ve completed the smudging ceremony.

Ladybug

posted December 30, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I know this is late but for those who asked for help I hope you read this. Smudging with Sage really does work and will seriously help those who feel negative presence in their homes. But there is a catch…You MUST believe in the power of the blessing and the prayer while smudging must be done with conviction and strength. If you are afraid, fearful, apprehensive it will NOT work. Here is one I always use and my children often come home from school and are calmer, happier, just completely un hurried and they always say have you been saging Mommy? It just feels so good to finally be home.
Here ngoes…Angels of Protection, Angels come near, Please remove all energy and spirits that dont belong here. Lead and guide them from the North, South, the East and West, send them into the light and give their soul rest. Begin in the rear west side of your home, proclaim this prayer in every room, let as much daylight into your home a possible and direct sunlight. Open all windows and doors and closets. Put instrumental nature sounding music on to aid you in relaxing. Meditate for a few minutes before about a time when you felt safe,loved and happy. Trust that the universal force that gave you life is supporting and lifting your vibration. In peace love and light, God Bless. I KNOW this will help you!

tbare

posted January 18, 2012 at 9:33 am

i have had nothing but bad things happening to my house since my husband and i moved in. the roof leaked leaving the inside of my house looking like the rainforest ruining my floors and ceiling inside and it took 3 different people to be able to fix it.a leak in the bathroom destroyed our bathroom and part of the kitchen. then another leak in the kitchen destroyed the rest of it. we had bed bugs that ended with having to tent our house. and just recently our hot water heater broke and flooded our garage not once not twice but three times because after installing a new one the plumber couldnt get the pipes to stay glued together and they kept bursting. finances have been the worst in 10 years and we have only been in the house for 3 years……i think my house needs an exorcism. but i will do a cleansing first with sage. hopefully it will work i should have done this when i first moved in.

Carly Alyssa

posted January 23, 2012 at 4:07 am

I Love to use Sage, and it truly makes such a wonderful difference in the feeling of the Energy of a Home. Cleanses Everything, Our Mind, Body and Spirit. We are all Energy and all things hold Energy. Energy in a home can get Stagnant, Old, Sad, & Negative, we want Our Homes to have Energy that is Warm, Inviting, Peaceful & Positive.
Our Environment, Molds US, Influences are States of Mind, Body and Spirit.

Rochelle

posted February 6, 2012 at 12:11 am

I have been experiencing bad energy in my home, and in myself lately. I always wanted to move back to my old place, this place i live in, does not feel like home. So i asked this lady what i should do. she told me to burn sage or sweet grass in a clockwise motion. And she told me to put salt around my house, inside and outside. Also to bath in epsum salt. because spirits dont like salt. She also told me to light a white candle in each room, and she said it should scare any bad energy or spirits in ur home. she said to leave a rock at each window in my home, and to say a prayer for myself and my home. If there are any bad spirits attached to you, eat salt and vinegar chips. that should scare them away. I just did all this today, I will let you know how i sleep tonight. thanks!

Rochelle

posted February 6, 2012 at 12:13 am

PS. do your dishes before u go to sleep and clean ur home spick and span. spirits come to eat, and are attracted to dirty people who dont do their dishes and dont clean their home.

marios

posted February 8, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I LOVE THE WAY AND YOUR METHOD OF YOUR SPACE OR EVEN OBJECT SMUDGING.I AM IN A HAPPY POSITION TO HELP LOTS OF PEOPLE GET RID OF NEGAIVE FEELINGS ,POWERS OR EVIL AND DEMON FORCES .I FULLY SUPPORT YOU , . GOD BLESS YOU ALL MARIO

Eunice

posted February 15, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I have tried once and I did not do it right. I am going to give it a try several more times. I was told it would take more then once. I cannot wait for spring to be here to give the house a cleansing head to toe! I did not use the words given on here but will this time for sure with the love of my family and true belief in this way I will let you know if i did well. Thanks for the info

Suzie

posted March 14, 2012 at 5:45 am

I haven’t, but it sounds like a positive way to begin your life in a new home, so I plan to give it a go. Thanks for you help.

ChaBella

posted April 16, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Wow Thank you, a friend just suggested to me about doing a sage cleansing at lunch today. She’s the third person within less than 2 weeks that has spoken about doing a sage cleansing. I’m in need positive energy. I’m dealing with alot of illness, bad attitudes, negativity and death around me. I need to release those bad vibes and unhealthy spirits from my place.

Xaivier Sinclaire

posted April 25, 2012 at 9:55 am

I just got done smudging the outside of the home and property, and to that I like to start with a corner cleaning I spray corner of the home with a mixture of Florida-water and Holy-water makes for a really nice feeling through the home.

Belimer

posted May 2, 2012 at 8:01 pm

First smudge yourself. I use sage

Using a broom, “sweep” the negative energy out of each room, going in a clock wise direction. (Not litterally sweeping the entire area) Saying or thinking ‘I cleanse this space of all negative energy.’ (or whatever you feel is right or apropriate for you)

Sprinkle salt around the perimeter of each room going clockwise again. (You don’t have to use a whole container of salt, just a few grains.) Say or think ‘I purify this space so no negative energy may return.’ (again, whatever feels right for you)

Smudge each room, clockwise with the smudge of your choice. Say or think ‘bless this space with positive white light’ (you get the idea, right?)

mary

posted May 7, 2012 at 5:21 pm

For people who have problems and for which the sage doesn’t complete the job, you should look for a Reiki Master, priest, shaman, energy workers or other spiritually trained person to assist you. Sometimes the departed is in your energy field and accompanies you around 24/7. I went through this after doing hospice work. I knew who it was; we were friends before he died, but his needs were in conflict with mine and he needed to go to the light.
You can go on line to find these spiritual people. Check them out first if you can. Some book stores carry metaphysical things and people leave business cards. There are a lot of good intended, but inept practitioners out there and you don’t want to waste your money.

Cat

posted May 9, 2012 at 7:49 am

I clense my home often .. when I feel I needto release negative energies or just sweep out the bab and sweep in the good .. I feel renewed and more positive after …

dee

posted June 3, 2012 at 12:29 pm

yes in doing the house cleansing do you have to get rid of the sage stick i have a very large one and there not cheap but if thats going to guarantee sucess i will please let me know need to do this today thanks god bless

Linda

posted June 3, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I’m an Native American from Seattle,Wash. We have been doing this for a long time. I’ve taught my 2 daughters this ritual,2 them.I was a fanatic about this ritual. Back in the 60′s,it was the rage,everyone did it. AS u said it been around a long time,use by Native Americans.

Victoria C

posted June 8, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Thanks so much for the advice…we cant wait to try this… our family is in such a turmoil, new jobs…everythings… I know this is just the thing for us.. we grow our own sage and lavender. :) so it is from the earth around our our home…it is meant to be.. will let you all know how things turn out!!! Thank you Mother Earth….

Vanessa

posted July 11, 2012 at 2:02 am

I sent 2 message prior to this I am hope they were submitted it kept saying error on
Email address
I truly need some help
Direction on how to cleans myself and home
Once again thank you
I use sage on
My home but not with doors and windows open until
I am done recently I burned in
My back yard because my neighbors are constantly snooping and I can’t even use my toilet with out him announcing I am in
Bathroom I don’t understand why they feel a need to listen and watch me every day.

Vanessa

posted July 11, 2012 at 2:18 am

As I was saying I am having so
Much negativety my coworkers/neighbors they go thru my trash listen to my home and whatch me thru my windows from sun up until in I go to bed no war room I am in when I am on the toilet etc. On a daily and sometime follow me they can give each other a time schedule of what I did or didn’t do on a daily. I recently burned sage in my back yard because when I get home at night my neighbor sits in the dark waiting for me they have gone so far as to report to
My job my home activity it has become so stressful. Some times when I wake up there are bruises on
My enter thighs and arms and I don’t know how I got them I feel like I am under attack by not just negative but evil spirits some times I have this bad odor on
Me that I can’t seem to get rid of how do I cleans my home and myself . Please help
Thank you and God bless the Devil has no victory hear but I can not do this a long anymore I have had others to help But they just continue to ask for money and nothing changes
Help Me if you can

robert may

posted August 25, 2012 at 10:32 pm

i just thought i would mention a little important fact….. the smudge stick should NEVER be put out in water or any of the sorts. it should always be put out using a bowl of fresh sea salt, or iodised salt, as the salt is a perfect cleansing tool for something like a smudge stick. hence why salt is used in wicca rituals as a protection circle. it most certainly should not be flushed down the toilet either, it should be kept in the bowl of salt, but if it needs disposing then it should be burnt out and then buried or placed into a fire outside to burn out completely.

Estee Parks

posted September 2, 2012 at 6:36 pm

If you feel that your home or space has a negative energy that is affecting your family,when you smudge with your sage (or other herb) make sure to also smudge over sink/shower drains and over open toilets. Sometimes negative energy may come uninvited into your house through these openings.

Victoria Harris

posted September 3, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I just read all of the articles about sage smudge sticks. and how to clean my houes and my mind and body and soul. so that I can help my children out .it has been times I do not want to get up or good to work it is like something is holding me back and down at times I was looking at the MENTALIST and she sage a tattoo parlor to make her feel better . I pray that it will clean my house and my mind body and soul . I believe that there is something in my house that is not good or friendly to my family and me so I want to clean out my house room by room

Christopher Long

posted September 14, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I am a wiccan I smudge my house my family and friends houses i have been a wiccan for a little over two years and I have never been happier the feeling of a cleansed house is one of the best feelings in the world thank you for listen and i highly recommend anyone to smudge their house because it will give you peace and tranquility in any situation. Blessed be and so mote it be

Lucy

posted October 8, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Did my first cleansing. Helping to remove all negativity and noise from my home.

Jersi

posted October 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I am amaze that this thing can be used in cleaning. I better try this.

Elizabeth

posted October 24, 2012 at 7:56 pm

First time I have know to do this. I did this today to cleanse my classroom of the negative parental energy which was there last night.

Olga

posted January 2, 2013 at 4:14 pm

A question re: step 6. How would I cup my hands over the smoke if I’m holding it? Where should I place the sage stick? Thank you

Flame

posted January 3, 2013 at 2:19 pm

the only thing about this that is wrong, is You are suppose to take an EMPTY cup and the sage stick outside, set the sage stick inside the cup (burning end facing up) and let it burn out itself. You never put it out with water…

Eileen

posted January 31, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I will be doing this next week as my little grandson wakes crying very badly ..and I have orbs all the time..

Kay

posted February 9, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Years ago I found articles on Smudging and white sage was used to cleanse the house and then sweet grass after to put energy into home. I have just moved to a new home and have just smudged it and it is feeling good already ……..

Al Florez

posted February 10, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Thank you for the guidance on how to do the cleansing but I been having a hard time to buy the whita sage here in Seattle Wa. If you can help me with this matter I’ll be very greatful to you
Al Florez

Amy C. Holmes

posted February 19, 2013 at 12:38 am

Thank you for sharing this wonderful tips of yours. I would love to read more from your future blogs,, Hoping for it. Good day!

gracie

posted February 22, 2013 at 10:22 am

thanks… it was really helpful.

renee

posted March 22, 2013 at 12:00 am

can i do it or do i have to get a special person to do it for us.

kassie

posted April 18, 2013 at 9:44 am

i have lived in my apt for a little over 2yrs ive always heard things moving but in the last 6mo ive been seeing a tall black figure, terrifiying dreams that im in a very old mansion or maybe a plantion home(not sure)and someone is tryn to harm me i have woke up and not been able to breath with red marks around my neck, i have also felt a cold energy pass thru the back of my neck an out of the front of my neck, but now my oldest child who is only 10 is now seeing the same tall black figure late at night just watchin us, im am getting ready to cleanse my house with white sage, is there any tips on what i should say as im doing this or any tips at all would help rite now

Bethany De La Cruz

posted May 23, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I have ALWAYS smuged everywhere ive ever lived. And will ALWAYS continue to do so. It makes me and my family feel SO much better afterwords. My husband and daughter (my husband being the skeptic at first) will even remind me or tell me when he thinks we need to do it again or that he “feels” like we need to. If you still haven’t tried it, I really don’t know what your waiting on. We just got done. I feel GREAT!!! Namaste <3

Mescalero1

posted July 23, 2013 at 1:48 am

Just was reading through all of this. First off, Vanessa. I know it’s been a year, but so rarely are so many people malevolent towards one person. Maybe part of what you need (if you are still coming here looking at responses) is to find someone else you trust in your life and see if they agree with you that people are watching you. I am not sure how you would know when you are inside that they are watching you. This is something for a doctor to review as maybe you have issues that have nothing to do with metaphysical issues.

Debra had mentioned holy water from the San Xavier Mission. That is a very old mission in Tucson and has a lot of history as well as a lot of energy. Great place.

I think old cures and remedies are great but a lot of issues seem to come from within. Empowering your fears can create anything from shadows to poltergeist activity. I am not saying there are not things going on that are supernatural in nature but when your fears take charge of your life, it is emanating from within you, not external of you. When I was a kid, I used to be terrified of the dark and ghosts and devils under my bed. I came to realize that the dark is nice and calming, peaceful. No devils under the bed, just an occasional sock I cant find. I took charge of my fears and they all went away.

Belief in what you do works. If you believe the cleansing works, then it will. The methodology is a little different. I doubt the sage will know (or the spirits would notice a difference) if it’s around abalone or not so I wouldn’t make a special trip trying to find abalone. You mind is electrical and transmits power. You know when you go in a room and someone is angry and you might not see it in their actions but you can feel it? Well, that is the mind acting as a transmitter and it is sending out the message that they are mad. And you mind receives that message.

Anyway, good luck to all of you and learn to empower yourself and starve your fears.

AManda B

posted August 5, 2013 at 1:35 am

My husband and I sense spirit. We usually don’t have any issues until recently. My toddler has been waking up screaming and crying. He told me that there was a bad man watching him from the corner. I think it’s time to sage this house so my baby boy feels safe. Thanks for all of the info!

patricia hibven

posted September 3, 2013 at 12:00 pm

what if i dont have white sage? can i use another

Dr. Johnson

posted September 20, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I HAVE BEEN USING SAGE FOR A WHILE NOW, (YEARS) I HAVE INTRODUCE SOME PEOPLE I KNOW ABOUT IT, THAT IT WILL HELP PROMOTE PEACE IN THEIR HOME,BUT I WOULD NOT DO IT TO OFTEN ANYMORE, MOST AFRICAN AMERICAN THINKS IT’S WITCHCRAFT,AND THERE ARE THE ONE WHO HAS A LOT OF SPIRITUAL ACTIVITY IN THEIR DAILY BOUTS WITH LIFE, I TELL THEM PRAYER SHOULD ALWAYS BE NUMBER ONE, BUT ALSO THEY HAVE TO DO SOME SPIRITUAL CLEANSING. I WILL NOT STOP USING IT, BUT I WILL BE MORE CAREFULL TO WHOM I INTRODUCE IT TO. THEY WILL NEED TO FIND OUT FOR THEMSELF, ALL I EVER DO HELP IN THE SPIRITUAL REALM. WE LIVE IN SPIRITUAL WORLD, IT’S WARFARE IN THE ATMOSPHERE DAILY, YOU DONT SEE IT BUT ITS’ THERE TO TAKE YOU OUT. KEEP YOURSELF PRAYED UP AND SPIRITUAL CLEAN YOUR SUROUNDING WITH SAGE AND SWEET GRASS.

helen

posted October 11, 2013 at 9:12 pm

for the last while back iv notice alot of strange things going on in my house alot of noise i can feel alot of negtivite in the house as if i put some clothes in the dyer at nite before i go ta bed at nite when i wake up the next morning there wet after iv turned on my dyer before i go to bed an i turn off my heating at nite be4 i go to bed an then i wake up at all hours at nite by da heat in the house i get up an come down stairs an the heatings been turned on an my little two year old boy wakes up screaming an crying at all hours at nite an cant seenm to settle down and go bk to sleep and iv notice that things get moved around alot an i find when i go looking for them there in places they shouldnt be am could u help me out please
thanks helen

Karen Harris

posted October 13, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Learning how to smudge is very important to me. With life come negativity from those who choose that life. It is nice to be able to clear my space.

Ana Cristina

posted October 17, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Can I also use garden grown sage???

Deb

posted November 4, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Just completed a smudging through entire house. I sit here, reflectand feel a breath of fresh air. Truly feel relaxed.

Rosa

posted November 9, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I was told to never to put the burning sage out ourselves, I was told to let it burn itself out..

Natasha

posted November 13, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I followed this sage and intention ritual. Thanks for posting this. I have saged my home for the second time today since the summertime. :)

Pingback: Batty’s Life Right Now – Batty's Blog

Miki

posted December 1, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Its time. my daughter and I are taking our home back from anxiety, stress, sadness and sorrow! It is not us. We are happy people. Time to release the unwanted.

Pingback: Ridding Your Home Of Negative Energy

Pingback: Sage Smudging: How to Cleanse Your Home, Apartment, Workspace, Self | These Earthly Delights

Amy

posted January 17, 2014 at 10:53 am

I’ve never done a house cleansing, but there seems to be a lot of activity in our apartment. It makes me uncomfortable, and seems like the kids have trouble sleeping, although they don’t say it’s anything scary or negative. I’m going to try a cleansing very soon.

Pingback: The Best Beauty Brands For 2014: R.L. linden & co. | My Organic Life Blog | Your Green Guide To a Beautiful Life - From The Inside, Out

Pingback: Cleansing | take a peek through my looking glass

Deb wells

posted January 28, 2014 at 3:26 am

I feel that my step daughter might have something attached to her, as I’ve taken a photo of her with her dad & her face is very distorted but her dads isn’t . She spends quite a lot of time with us & there are always anxiety & tension in the house when she is here. Her mother is a very vendictive women & will cause her ex & myself a lot of heartache whenever she can. Will smudging help cleanse our home from negative energy?

lonebirch

posted January 28, 2014 at 4:27 pm

There were a couple of errors in this article on Smudging. First, it states that traditionally, abalone shell is used.. This is an error. Although some younger people are using Abalone shell, it is typically used for WATER rituals, as Abalone is named for the Great Oceans. For Smudging, you should be using a CLAY bowl or dish, as CLAY is used in Fire rituals. Secondly, the article says to cleanse yourself in the Sage smoke AFTER you complete the Smudging of the house; but this too is an error. You should always cleanse yourself in the smoke of the Sage BEFORE doing the Smudging of the house. This is intended to clean any darkness away from you, and to protect you during the smudging, or you are left open to having the spirit attach itself to you. So, protect yourself FIRST…. ALWAYS.

Pingback: Mercury in Retrograde doesn’t mean the end of the world | HolRoy