Fresh Living

Fresh Living

Are You Having Enough Fun?

posted by vreiss

trampolinewoman.jpgThat’s what a couple of people have asked me lately. It’s a bad sign that my mind goes blank and I just blink, right? Um, fun? Ohhh, fuuun. And a friend just posted to Facebook: “X is tired of being so hard on herself. She would like to be responsible, organized, and still have fun. There hasn’t been nearly enough fun lately.” I am with her. And study after study and a new spate of books have come out about the healing power of play, spontaneous downtime, real joy, flow.

Presuming I’m not the only fun-stunted grown-up out there–it seems like fun is the first thing to go when people are stressed, especially about cash–I’ve made a list for you and me on how to have more fun. (Fun is obviously subjective, though–one woman’s puzzle is another woman’s nightmare–so these are just ideas to inspire.)

50 Ways to Have More Fun

1) Bounce on a trampoline

2) Watch 30 Rock on Hulu.com

3) Make a list of music you’d love to hear live. Get tickets.

4) Pull together your friends and/or family for a jamboree–of homemade and real instruments

5) Go dancing

6) Book a cheap flight

7) Relax in a hammock

8) Go swimming

9) Check off a few items on your life list

10) Make a life list

11) Go to the zoo

12) Find one un-fun thing you can NOT do and don’t do it

13) Read a juicy novel

14) Write a juicy novel

15) Go bowling

16) Do bumper cars

17) Draw

18) Fingerpaint

19) Invent a new dessert. Share.

20) Make a stuffed animal

21) Create an altar

22) Play ball–basket, base, tennis, dodge

23) Run

24) Take a froofy scented bath

25)  Get on a boat

26) Adopt a goat

27) Visit a farm

28) Take a guided tour

29) Go to a museum you would never normally consider

30) Walk a dog (borrow if you need to)

31) Visit someone you love. Or invite them to visit you.

32) Paint a mural

33) Learn to stand on your head

34) Cuddle

35) Go for a picnic–on your living room floor if need be

36) Visit Cuteoverload.com

37) Have a progressive potluck with your neighbors

38) Make raw chocolate

39) Ride a bike

40) Play frisbee

41) Have an afternoon tea party where everyone has to wear a hat

42) Make your own ice cream sandwiches

43) Make your own ice cream with an ice cream ball

44) Hop on a train or a bus and go somewhere you’ve never been–within an hour of your home

45) Go to a make-your-own-pottery place

46) Buy a fruit or vegetable you’ve never had (like Buddha’s Hand)

47) Have a clothing swap with friends

48)  Have a house swap with strangers

49) Make a music mix. Groove.

50) Have a poetry reading

What do you do for fun?

Therese Borchard

posted April 23, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Valerie,
I teared up at this, because one of the last things my dad said to me before he died was “Are you having enough fun?” I did a video on it. It’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately. So thanks for the great post. I will link to this when I discuss the topic again on BB. t

Heartman

posted April 23, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Dear Valerie, Mike Myers the comedian ( sat night live , Austen powers) said he got his comic mind set from his dad who worked in a hard factory job all day. At the nightly dinner table his Dad had a routine of asking the family what they did for fun today or to make up some funny joke or story. Therefore Mike said he spent part of every day focused on having fun or creating fun jokes or stories because Dad asked every night. Thus a giving comic genius was born. THANK YOU FOR THE REMINDER TO FOCUS!!! For fun I’m really enjoying learning the ways of the computer. It’s still all new for me. Joy to you.

Shirley O'Shea

posted April 23, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Go bowling or play mini-golf.

Annapurna Moffatt

posted April 23, 2009 at 8:18 pm

What do I do for fun…… Well, I dance up a storm; listen to really beautiful music (Intermezzo Sinfonico from Cavalleria Rusticana, anyone?); email friends; experiment with photography; read my favourite blogs (Fresh Living! Beyond Blue! When You’re Going Through Hell Keep Going!); comb Flickr for really cool photos………..

milo

posted April 24, 2009 at 9:08 am

every day even with hip replacement,shoulders both repaired,back repair,sleep apena,overweight,over still working and non smoking or druging thanks to GOD yes i am having FUN i hope it last at lease 30 more years. Never Give Up On GOD!!!!!!!!

Loren

posted April 24, 2009 at 9:52 am

Discovering somewhere new, cooking a meal from a country i’ve never been to…brings me closer to being there, planting seeds, cleaning beaches, draw cartoons, watch birds diving into water
and laughing, laughing until my belly hurts
thanks for the reminder of what i need to do today!

Your Name

posted April 24, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I am evidently reading my email all the time,to me that’s my ultimate
fun.nothing more..promise!

Ricky and Elaine

posted April 24, 2009 at 6:03 pm

I laugh. I laugh with my husband all the time we laugh alot and often. My cheeks hurt; tears come down my face; I can’t breathe; we laugh in the morning; we laugh in the evening; all ways and always, we laugh so very much….. than we laugh some more!
I laugh and keep great company, that’s all… Peace

bliss

posted April 28, 2009 at 2:38 am

For fun I crochet, dance, listen to music, walk around the lake o the greenway, talk to friends and more.
These are the things that make me happy.

Brenda647

posted April 28, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Have a pie fight. I’ve been involved in two of them and laughed for days afterwards. Of course, this only works if you don’t sweat the organizing and the cleaning up. So don’t!!! 27zhft
Those things will take of themselves.

Ingrid

posted May 1, 2009 at 1:29 am

Joined a painting class at the Adult center in my town twice a week. On Saturday we are painting nature. Very relaxing and lots, lots of fun. Try it yourself.

Jennifer

posted May 3, 2009 at 9:24 am

Amusement parks!

Armetta L. White

posted May 6, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Music is the universal unspoken language. Everywhere it appears that
people respond and respect good decent music which uplifts them and
enables them to fly spiritually.
Music helps to lift people out of their mundaneness and into a new
awareness and universality.
Where would people be without the creative expression of music.

KristinxU30

posted February 15, 2010 at 12:30 pm

People think that the literature term paper writing is the most time taking issue. Nevertheless, people count on the custom sociology essays service support every time when it is demanded.

Fare Well, Live Fresh...and Thanks
This is the post in which we say goodbye.  We're both leaving our respective jobs at Beliefnet, and so it's time to step away from the blog.So, this is the post in which we say goodbye...by saying thank you.  Thank you to you, the readers, for clicking and visiting and sharing the myriad w

posted 12:00:45pm Jul. 02, 2010 | read full post »

Waking Up to Your Dreams (by Wendy Schuman)
Are you a frustrated dreamer? I know I am. I often wake up with fragments of scenes echoing in my mind that seem really meaningful--but then I leap out of bed, start my morning routine, and in seconds they're gone. I want to linger in that realm and tap into the guidance and insight rising from a wi

posted 2:21:32pm Jun. 24, 2010 | read full post »

Prayer for the Gulf from the 13 Grandmothers
Because I lack an engineering degree and don't understand why we can't just stop this thing NOW with a 10-ton wad of gum or giant boulder or massive Q-tip, I'll share more spiritual wisdom from elders. This is from the beautiful, amazing International Council of 13 Indigenous Grandmothers--they each

posted 10:52:38am Jun. 21, 2010 | read full post »

Fresh Morning: Worry Away the Worry
"Worry is a prayer for something you don't want." - Sharon Gannon I love that. The other day someone expressed concern about my excessive worrying habit, and I've been contemplating on it ever since. Doing my best to actually contemplate, rather than worry. I've been on a renewed Gilmore G

posted 9:14:40am Jun. 21, 2010 | read full post »

How Did You (or a Loved One) Heal from Cancer?
In addition to co-writing this blog and working at Beliefnet full-time, I'm writing a book. It's about how I got through cancer five years ago with a combination of heavy-duty Western meds and all I knew from my personal and journalistic experience of yoga, meditation, non-religious spirituality, an

posted 3:08:46pm Jun. 18, 2010 | read full post »