Holly, I feel you and your sniffles! I’ve caught every little bug this year (thanks, stress!). But, in general how I kick a common cold is the following (oh and I am sooo not a medical professional, so definitely check with your doctor before taking any of my advice).
1) Load up on Emergen-C Lite. I’m a big fan of these powdery packets. They each have 1,000 mgs of vitamin C and the “lite” version doesn’t have much sweetener–fake or otherwise–so it goes down fizzy and easy. And it’s only got 5 calories if you care about that sort of thing. I try to chug 3 a day when I feel something coming on.
2) Cut out all sugar and dairy. I stop eating anything sweet, including fruit, for a few days to help “alkalize” my system–help shift my PH level from acid to more basic. One theory says this can ward off any disease because the icks thrive in an acidic internal environment, but not a basic or more neutral one. It’s controversial, but makes sense to me. (Here’s a list of acid and alkaline foods). Dairy products also acidify the system, plus they just make me phlegmier.
3) Eat lots of leafy greens. Also along the alkalizing line of thought. Plus they’re packed with minerals and chlorophyll and all things healthy bodies thrive on. I like to order an all-green juice from the health food store–and I ask them to add a little green apple or carrot juice to take off the bitter edge.
4) Sleep. Might seem like a no-brainer, but deep sleep restores everything and all heals so much faster.
5) Drink hot tea with lemon. The lemon cuts the phlegm, the hot water soothes. (Holly actually just created a brilliant a gallery on the health secrets of lemons you might like.)
6) Take acidophilus. Getting your colon working properly ensures that you process toxins and keep things moving along properly.
7) Take Wellness Formula. I pop these giant horsepills of a multi-vitamin every three hours (the label says to) when I’m run down. It really helps.
8) Take the oscililipholo-a-rama stuff. Ok, I can’t pronounce or spell it, but on the off-chance you’re coming down with a flu, these homepathic magic pills are great.
9) Drink lots of water. Also a no-brainer, but the faster you can get things flushed out of your sytem, the sooner you will feel better.
10) Have fun! The whole “laughter heals” thing is not a joke. Try to get in some giggles–you’ll release some happy-making oxytocin and your cells will function better and at the very least you’ll keep yourself from getting Common Cold Mopey Misery Syndrome.
11) Give in. You know, sometimes the body needs to get sick. It’s telling you it has to release something and rest. Listen in to know when to stop battling and start popping in Gilmore Girls on DVD in your robe and blanket.
What are your secret tricks for kicking out a cold before it settles in?
Fare Well, Live Fresh...and Thanks
posted 12:00:45pm Jul. 02, 2010 | read full post »
Waking Up to Your Dreams (by Wendy Schuman)
posted 2:21:32pm Jun. 24, 2010 | read full post »
Prayer for the Gulf from the 13 Grandmothers
posted 10:52:38am Jun. 21, 2010 | read full post »
Fresh Morning: Worry Away the Worry
posted 9:14:40am Jun. 21, 2010 | read full post »
How Did You (or a Loved One) Heal from Cancer?
posted 3:08:46pm Jun. 18, 2010 | read full post »