The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

Dolan takes aim at The Times — again

posted by jmcgee

And, as he did last year, Archbishop Timothy Dolan of New York lets them have it:

I know, I should drop it. “You just have to get used to it,” so many of you have counselled me. “It’s been that way forever, and it’s so ingrained they don’t even know they’re doing it. So, let it go.”

I’m talking about the common, casual way The New York Times offends Catholic sensitivity, something they would never think of doing — rightly so — to the Jewish, Black, Islamic, or gay communities…

…Now turn to C29. This glowingly reviewed not-to-be missed “art” exhibit comes to us from Harvard, and is a display of posters from ACT UP. Remember them? They invaded of St. Patrick’s Cathedral to disrupt prayer, trampled on the Holy Eucharist, insulted Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger when he was here for a conference, and yelled four letter words while exposing themselves to families and children leaving Mass at the Cathedral. The man they most detested was Cardinal John O’Connor, who, by the way, spent many evenings caring quietly for AIDS patients, and, when everyone else ran from them, opened units for them at the Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center and St. Clare’s Hospital. Too bad for him. One of the posters in this “must see” exhibit is of Cardinal O’Connor, in the form of a condom, referred to as a “scumbag,” the “art” there in full view in the photograph above the gushing review in our city’s daily.

There’s more, with links to the offending articles, at the Archbishop’s blog.

Deacon Chick

posted October 20, 2010 at 9:42 pm

a bishop willing to speak the truth… how refreshing.
It seems we are living in an era in which too many of our catholic leaders are willing to repeat Kevin Bacon’s line from Animal House, “Thank you sir… may I please have another?”

awashingtondccatholic

posted October 21, 2010 at 8:02 am

When someone wishes to burn a copy of the Koran, the mainstream (aka liberal) media, politicians, religious leaders and pundits get up and tell us that this is a bad thing to do.
When someone makes says that homosexuality is immoral and wrong, the mainstream (aka liberal) media, politicians, some religious leaders and pundits get up and tell us that this is a bad thing to do and call us homophobe, bigots, etc.
When someone attacks the Catholic Church in print or art, disrupts the Catholic Mass and desicrates the Holy Eucharist, the mainstream (aka liberal) media, politicians, some religious leaders and pundits get up and tell us that this is either a First Amendment right, that they are couragous or are deadly silent.
Anti-Catholic bigotry is alive and well in the United States.

Panthera

posted October 21, 2010 at 8:53 am

awashingtondccatholic,
I hate to interupt your self-pity party with reality, but another gay teenager has completed suicide this week in America.
How many non-gay Catholic teens and young adults have been driven to suicide in the last six weeks by Catholic ‘bashing’?

Tom

posted October 21, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Offhand, I’d say none (it’s gay ‘bashing’ if anything that is more likely to lead to suicide for gay teenagers, which none of us here take part in). Now if a gay Catholic teen were to pick up an issue of the NYTimes (where Catholic ‘bashing’ is the order of the day), then that’s something that could merit examination. As for Catholics in general, we’re big boys who can take their baseless badgering.
My personal opinion is that the Times have been reduced to mostly a rag of partisans anyway who only preach to the choir, so why bother even mentioning them? Ignore them, and perhaps they’ll wither into obscurity (like a mischievous child clamoring for attention), unless they get a bailout from The One.

wineinthewater

posted October 21, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Panthera,
The presence of great evils does not justify the toleration of smaller evils. That is how small evils become great evils.

RomCath

posted October 21, 2010 at 4:54 pm

As Archbishop Dolan has said he has been advised to lay off the Times. I am happy he has decided to point out their bigotry.
The Times is failing financially as was reported in the last few days and will cease to be sometime in the not too distant future. While pushing their non-objective reporting, liberal agenda along with Catholic bashing I hope it happens soon.

Panthera

posted October 21, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Tom said:
endquote
Tom, please – Christians, whether gay or not who support our civil rights here are routinely told we aren’t real Christians. We are told to leave the Church. We are told that we are pedophiles. We are called drunk. We are told we are a worse threat to Amerika than the terrorists. We are told we should be thrown into the nut house. That we should leave our spouses and enter loveless marriages to breed like rabbits.
I could go on.
Your side condones shoving baseball bats into the rectums of young men.
My side is pleading for restoration of our rights.
Your side has applauded the deaths of now eight children.
Our side – 8% of the population – is over represented in the Priesthood, medicine, teaching, policing and defense.
It is hard to see how you can truly trivialize the death of those children in the name of God, but you do.
Wow.

Tom

posted October 21, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Your side condones shoving baseball bats into the rectums of young men…Your side has applauded the deaths of now eight children.
It’s ludicrous incendiary statements like this as to why no one actually takes you seriously. Until you learn to treat those with whom you disagree with more respect, it’s going to be an uphill climb for you. I already explained (on another thread) that I’m against sodomy, and that it was gang members who committed this atrocious act. No one is applauding suicide, Panthera (this is distinctly against Catholic teaching as well, or have you forgotten)?
The article Deacon Greg linked to pertains to Archbishop Dolan’s criticizing of the NYTimes, not gay teens committing suicide (which I would never dream of trivializing). It is truly sad that this is happening, but if you wish to arouse our sympathies, then criticizing commentors who stay on topic of throwing a “self-pity party” is hardly the way to go about doing it.
Respectfully,
Tom

Panthera

posted October 21, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Tom, did you actually bother to re-read what you originally wrote?
Let’s take a look at it again and then, maybe you’ll better understand the strong words I used in reply:
endquote
Now, I’m well over six foot, weigh quite a bit – and it’s not all fat nor yet feathers between my ears, can still strong arm two 50lb. bags of cement and look like what I am: Built like a brick outhouse. It took four equally big guys to bring me down and kick my teeth out, my ribs I and try to kill me. They only didn’t succeed because my husband – who weighs 140 sopping wet and is seven inches shorter than me pushed them away then covered me with his own body.
He nearly died. The kicked in ribs punctured a lung and missed the pericardial sac by millimeters. I have bad eyesight in one eye, “cowboy caps” (the only time I’ve ever been grateful for having serious amounts of money), write now with the non-dominant hand and I got off easy. Séan was in the hospital for six weeks.
And we are adult men. So, when you use made-up arguments about how strong your Catholic boys are (and two of the men who attacked us were “Catholic boys” of the conservative variety) then you are going to get back a realty based response.
Those now eight dead gay children didn’t have by physical strength or husband’s love and courage. They didn’t have my adult ability to understand that when you live among conservative Christians, your life is always at risk. They are dead now, and dead because of the mindset which conservative Christians have let grow in this country. You maintain that our sexual orientation and our monogamous marriage is a bigger threat to the existence of society than the Islamic terrorists. Bullies on the playgrounds here that, gang members in bad neighborhoods hear it and they all think they have a free pass to attack a group which nobody will defend.
You want to exploit rhetorical method to defend the indefensible, I call you on it. The atmosphere which the conservative Christians have created towards gays, lesbians and the transgender over the last few years is part and parcel of this violence and trying to deny it only affirms the complicity.
Fight and snarl back at me over “generalizations” and “conservative”, etc. all you will, there are now eight dead children and three severely raped and abused young men (one of whom isn’t even intrinsically disordered as you so charmingly like to put it) to a very great degree because of your side of our Christian house exploiting this topic.

RomCath

posted October 21, 2010 at 6:25 pm

This post was about the Times and anti-Catholic bigotry. It has once again veered off into a homosexual rights debate.
Some may remember a group called ACTUP which desecrated the Eucharist in a Cathedral. Any sympathy for gay “rights” ended with many that day.

Panthera

posted October 21, 2010 at 6:34 pm

RomCath,
You once possessed the grace of sympathy? I mean, except for your self?
Wow.
So, if I can forgive my Catholic forbears – many of whom I knew as a child and teen – for their support of the Nazis and if I can even make the intellectual leap that just because they were bad people not all Catholics are bad people, do you suppose you might accept that there is no one single “gay” movement or group?
I thought their actions did more harm than good and was appalled by it, frankly.
I don’t know if you ever actually read the links Deacon Kandra posts, but nearly every single solitary article we have fought over these last few weeks has made reference to homosexuality and abortion.
They are the two battle fronts in the culture wars which are very hot right now. Primarily because hate is losing and human rights are gaining.
Hmm, that might explain your extraordinary spite of late.

RomCath

posted October 21, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Panthera,
Yesterday you made a point of asking that I ignore you. I have not addressed you all day in spite of your inane posts. My last post was not addressed to you either. Any sympathy does not mean my sympathy for your rights. I have sympathy for anyone struggling with any hardship.
Without the Deacon pointing it out, I have pointed out to you that every one of your posts is about homosexuality and the deprivation of your rights, the conservative Christians and your hatred of the right.
If you want me to ignore you, then knock it off addressing me. I do notice that with the responses you have gotten today that there are many now who have your number and your agenda. Do not address me again.

Mark from PA

posted October 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Panthera, that is a horrible story. Whatever happened to those 2 Catholic boys? Did they make restitution? Did they apologize? Did their Catholic families apologize? Were their families horror struck by what they did to you and your partner? It is hard for me to understand such violence and hate. To hear of the violence and suicides must be particularly painful after what you have suffered. Thank you for sharing your story and your witness. People need to hear how terrible hatred and prejudice is. May the peace of Christ and blessings be with you and your beloved partner.

Tom

posted October 21, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Panthera, it wasn’t my implication that gays are wimps if that’s what you read into it. Apparently many are under extreme duress, which is why their suicide rate is disproportionately higher than the general population. My criticism was aimed at the NYTimes, as I often become depressed when reading so many articles that pertain to the Church’s scandal while largely ignoring sexual improprieties in public schools and other religious denominations (thereby doing thosekids a disservice). In all seriousness, I don’t think anyone (straight or gay) decides to end it all after reading poorly compiled and factually bereft news articles (at least I hope not!) In my darkest moments, I cannot imagine this being the straw that finally breaks the camel’s back.
In any event, you said, “You maintain that our sexual orientation and our monogamous marriage is a bigger threat to the existence of society than the Islamic terrorists. Bullies on the playgrounds here that, gang members in bad neighborhoods hear it and they all think they have a free pass to attack a group which nobody will defend.
This is the first I’ve heard of you elaborating why “my side” as you keep repeating, is responsible for so much of this. The truth is that all these offenders are being prosecuted, going all the way back to Andrew Shepard’s murder…so why they would think they have a “free pass” is beyond me (with or without hate crimes legislation). Plenty of pastors preach against homosexuality, though a very minute few preach that practicing homosexuals are subhuman (get the difference?).
…and how do you arrive at the conclusion that I believe “gay marriage” to be a bigger threat than Islamic (or any other kind) of terrorism?? Once again, you’re pulling words out of thin air to make your case. People being blow to pieces under piles of rubble is a much bigger threat to humans than any penetration between consenting adults no matter how “intrinsically disordered” I believe it to be, which is a mild way of phrasing it compared with other language I’ve heard.
You aptly acknowledge that there is ‘no one single “gay” movement or group’ in your response to RomCath, all the while condemning “my side” (guilt by association when there’s none) when it conveniently suits your cause. Explain to me how this is not a double standard.

Deacon Greg Kandra

posted October 21, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Pan…
Keep it up and you’ll be banned from the blog.
It seems like every discussion with you deteriorates into an “us vs. them” debate, and The Other Side is always populated by angry evil conservatives, while liberals (preferably gay ones) are martyrs and saints.
A word of advice: get over yourself. Please. And stop playing the victim, again and again and again, no matter what the topic or thread. You’re obviously smart, literate, astute and imbued with a sense of Christian values. Bring those qualities here and listen to your better angels. I know you have them. You, and those you encounter here, will only benefit.
Because as things stand now, you aren’t doing yourself, your cause or your siblings in the gay rights movement any favors. You’re just ticking everybody off and making yourself look worse.
There. End of rant.
Dcn. G.

Bill Wilson

posted October 21, 2010 at 9:24 pm

So Dolan doesn’t like the NY Times. Big surprise! Politicans, whether secular or ecclesiastical, love to bash the messenger. As a moderate Republican, I disagree with most of the Times’s editorial writers and columnists. That doesn’t keep me from recognizing that it is the best paper in the country. Would Dolan have it be as bland and syncophantic toward the church as the diocesan press of the United States?
Man up, Your Eminence, and admit that you don’t like the Times because it dares to point out when the church is over-stepping its boundaries or falling short in its mission. As a practicing Catholic for all of my 74 years, I am continually amazed how much offense the clerical caste take when someone dares to challenge them. It is as if all clerics think that some form of infallibility by contact is bestowed with the call to holy orders.

Mordred08

posted October 22, 2010 at 12:09 am

Deacon Greg Kandra: “stop playing the victim, again and again and again, no matter what the topic or thread.”
Because clearly only straight Christians are allowed to do that.

RomCath

posted October 22, 2010 at 7:20 am

“Man up, Your Eminence, and admit that you don’t like the Times because it dares to point out when the church is over-stepping its boundaries or falling short in its miss
As a 74 year old Catholic, I am sure you know that Your Eminence is reserved for Cardinals which Archbishop Dolan is not.
The Times has long lost its sense of any objectivity in its reporting.If it is the best paper in the country then the rest must be really awful.
I wasn’t aware that the Church was over-stepping its boundaries. Is the Church just supoosed to shut up?
Abp Dolan was addressing the Times use of crude images of nuns and priests. Do they also do that with other religions?

awashingtondccatholic

posted October 22, 2010 at 10:27 am

It is amazing how this thread has turned from Archbishop Dolan’s view on how the NYTimes views the Catholic Church into a bashing of the Church.

RomCath

posted October 22, 2010 at 10:31 am

“Because clearly only straight Christians are allowed to do that.”
I must have missed those posts.

Aquamarine

posted October 22, 2010 at 10:43 am

Well, RomCath, isn’t this post all about how the Times is out to get Catholics?
I was just thinking about how all these Catholic blogs are never about Christ — they’re about Church politics, Church image, Church hierarchy, this Bishop, that Cardinal, dogma, doctrine, the current darlings of the Catholic blogosphere, but never, ever about Christ.
I just did a quick read through of about a dozen prominent Catholic blogs, reading about a week’s worth of posts on each, and not one single post is about Christ. There’s a lot of mean-spirited snark about non-Catholics, a lot of politics, a lot of whining about how mean everyone is to the Church (usually right after one of the meaner posts regarding non-Catholics — oh, the irony…), a lot of posting about internal Church politics and posturing, a lot of finger pointing and scolding, a lot of kissing up to the latest Catholic blogosphere darling, and so on.
But not one single post about Christ…
And ya’ll think the NY Times is the problem…??

Katherine

posted October 22, 2010 at 10:54 am

Your Excellency,
I’m sorry, but to me you seem overly sensitiive and a little selective. The Times runs a listing of brief descriptions of each Broadway Theatre performance. That is kind of what they do and if a play is on Broadyway, I expect them to list it, no matter how good or bad it is.
Then they review an art exhibit. The review makes no mention of the actions you reference and photo shows no art with the Catholic Church as its theme (it does show art that negatively portrays one Democratic and one Republican politican).
On the other hand, I have not heard from you any objection to the New York Post regularly runs all sort of salacious photos and news stories.
I know you are not a parent, but I am. I am much more concenred about leaving a copy of the NY Post lying around where children would oogle over parts of it than the New York Times. It would be nice if you would back up Catholic parents on this, but I don’t have much hope.

Katherine

posted October 22, 2010 at 11:14 am

Let me just add, in yesterday’s edition of the NY Post, they ran soem photos from the “Venus Erotic Fair.” Since the Post seems exempt from episcopal criticism, would it be okay for me to post a link to those photos?

Aquamarine

posted October 22, 2010 at 11:24 am

The thing is, on what day did media perception become so important for the Catholic Church (or any Christian church)?
The Church is bleeding members, the Church is in the midst of one of the most shocking crises of it’s history, is part of a society more deeply in need of Christ’s message than ever, and once again, it’s primary concern is public image.
Whining about how meeaaan the NY Times is to the Catholic Church (a gross exaggeration, anyway) just makes you look like pansies.
Stop worrying about position, power, perception — all the worldly stuff Christ came to free us from — and start doing what you claim Christ put you in charge of doing — ministering to the people.
Less posturing, politics and power-mongering and more service, ministry and humility might be in order, eh?

RomCath

posted October 22, 2010 at 11:31 am

Aqua,
I find it quite amusing (and baffling) that so many former Catholics, disgruntled Catholics and non-Catholics frequent Catholic blogs. Is there a secret desire to belong? If it were not for their sniping at the Church and whining about Church teachings, perhaps Catholics may find more time discussing Christ and less time defending the Church.
If you think the Times is objective on any matters Catholic, I have a bridge to sell you. When they start similar articles critical of other religious groups which they dare not touch, then I will give them some credence.

Aquamarine

posted October 22, 2010 at 11:53 am

Um, I don’t think the NY Times is objective at all on a lot of things, including Catholic matters. Never said they were. So save your bridge for someone else.
Also, I find it very interesting — and telling — that so many self-proclaimed 100% Catholics are hell-bent on slamming the doors of the Church in the faces of anyone who isn’t at all like them.
You need not fear — I will never darken the door of a Catholic Church again — I got your message loud and clear.
But, if you like, I will also never darken the comboxes of this blog again, as well.
Got your message loud and clear — no one but the 100%ers welcome. ‘K. It’s all yours, dear.
Good bye

Your Name

posted October 22, 2010 at 11:56 am

The good liberals here, as usual, are attempting to change the subject to deflect on the typical Catholic bashing of the NYTimes.
1. What does the NYPost have to do with this arguement? Absolutely nothing. Just a way to change the subject.
2. Media perception is always important. However, many bishops are gun shy about it. Dolan takes it on and does so, oh so well. You would have thought he was a native NYer. You got to give him credit. Gotta love him.
3. There is a great deal of ministering, etc. The criticism is not about power..it is about the truth and anti-Catholic bigotry. The gay community refuses (to this day) to acknowledge that Cardinal O’Conner did much for those suffering from AIDs during those days — both on a personal level — cleaning bedpans, changing sheets, talking when they wanted, listening when they wanted somoene to listen, just being there to know that someone cared, etc. — , as well as, in his position as Cardinal by making beds available for those suffering with AIDs. Archbishop Dolan is 100% correct on that fact.

Tom

posted October 22, 2010 at 12:46 pm

RomCath: Aqua, I find it quite amusing (and baffling) that so many former Catholics, disgruntled Catholics and non-Catholics frequent Catholic blogs. Is there a secret desire to belong?
Actually RomCath, I think this is a valid thing for Aqua to do. I know that I read blogposts and articles from those who don’t think as I do (The NYTimes, the Guardian, HuffPo, the Tablet, NCRonline, Newsweek, Time, etc.) It can be a give n take, as we don’t want to drive up traffic hits on their website too much, thereby enticing sponsors to keep them afloat. On the other hand, it’s good to know that when you’re WWJD theology needs fine-tuning, the caring pundits at NCReporter (like Sr. Joan Chittister)are there with gracious help ;-) Anyway, she (Aqua) brings up a valid point, that Catholic blogs should be centered on Christ (if they don’t mention him by name, then they should at least emulate his persona in virtue, though always imperfectly as fallible human beings). I remember one of the gripes about a prominent speaker from LCWR was that she said ‘who are we to say that a spiritual movement beyond Christ isn’t a movement into the very heart of God’, or something along those lines. The strange thing being that the progressive wing was inflamed that these pour souls received an ‘apostolic visitation’ directed by those eeeevvvillll misogynistic prelates lounging comfortably behind the walls of their lavish ivory towers.
Also, the Archbolds took note a while back about how these sisters never stopped mentioning Christ in their outreach to potential recruits (you can scroll through their website on the CatholicNunsToday link if you accidentally believe me ;-)

Katherine

posted October 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm

What does the NYPost have to do with this arguement?

That is exactly it. Abp. Dolan doesn’t appear to be man enough to take on the Media. He only takes on one medium.
Take a look at the NY Post’s photos yesterday from the Venus Erotica Show. Yet not a word agains the Post.
I rather have my children reading the Times than the trash and sex published in the NY Post. Anyone here want to defend the reverse? Bring it on!

RomCath

posted October 22, 2010 at 1:45 pm

“that so many self-proclaimed 100% Catholics are hell-bent on slamming the doors of the Church in the faces of anyone who isn’t at all like them. You need not fear — I will never darken the door of a Catholic Church again”
I think I have heard you say that before about never going to a Catholic Church again. That is my point. If you made the decision to leave then what keeps drawing you back–To criticize, to rub it in our mean old faces or an interest in learning about why we believe what we do?
No one is 100 per cent Catholic, we are all “practicing” Catholics. We all fall short. We don’t throw up our hands because the Church doesn’t fit into the mold we have created. The Church doesn’t change, we do.

AWASHINGTONDCCATHOLIC

posted October 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Katherine:
Please…again, you are changing the subject. You have done it on my blog and you do it here. Focus on the issue at hand — the NYT, Archbishop Dolan and how they treat Catholicism. Thank you very much.

Panthera

posted October 22, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Mark from PA,
I will take any blessing I can get and I thank you.
It was quite a nasty mess – two distant relations of mine involved, two of their friends.
Like all such things in the rural South, it was quietly settled.
I don’t have the impression anyone from that side of the family much changed their views.
It has left me with a very short fuse, indeed, on the subject of bullying.
Another dead child, yesterday evening. That makes six more since the Deacon first brought the matter to our attention.

Katherine

posted October 22, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Okay. The NY Times treats Catholic principles better than the other dailies in that media market.
If you consider a parent with a son who is selling drugs, a daugther who is turning tricks and a third child who is leaving dirty dishes in the sink, how do you defend such a parent when he only disciplines the third child?

Mark from PA

posted October 22, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Panthera, I am a very non-violent person so it is hard for me to imagine such violence. Did those guys feel bad for what they did after they sobered up? Did they make restitution? Did they apologize?

Mark from PA

posted October 22, 2010 at 5:55 pm

RomCatholic, I certainly agree with what you say that no one is 100% Catholic. We are all works in progress. I do think that some bishops think that they are 100% Catholic and view the laity with disdain. I see the attitudes of Cardinal Law and newly named Cardinal Burke and see how they love the power and privilege. I think some see themselves as princes and the laity as peasants. But in truth, only God is all-knowing, no human being has all the answers.

RomCath

posted October 22, 2010 at 6:20 pm

“I do think that some bishops think that they are 100% Catholic and view the laity with disdain.”
Perhaps some do but I don’t think a majority do. If the Bishops are as we call them “Sucessors of the Apostles”, I think they realize that they are as imperfect as the Apostles were. One of the 12 betrayed Jesus, one doubted him and the eventual leader, Peter, denied Jesus three times. Jesus knew the frailties of the Apostles before he called them but he called them still.

Panthera

posted October 23, 2010 at 2:42 am

Mark from PA,
No apologies. No sense of guilt or remorse. The whole thing began because I stopped one distant cousin from beating a dog who should have never been used for bird hunting in the first place. Foolish of me, of course – my father taught me as a child that people who beat dumb animals beat their wives and their kids and will attack other people equally easily.
Mark, there’s no way to continue this discussion on this thread. I deeply, deeply appreciate your concern. Actions have consequences, I like a clean barn but that doesn’t mean I use 0-phenol-phenol anywhere near my dawgs or horses.
Then the LORD asked Cain, “Where is your brother Abel?” He answered, “I do not know. Am I my brother’s keeper?”
The LORD then said: “What have you done! Listen: your brother’s blood cries out to me from the soil!
Genesis 4

Mark from PA

posted October 23, 2010 at 9:34 am

Panthera, I understand what you are saying here. I am heartened by President Obama’s message to our young people in the “It Get’s Better” campaign. So many people are taking part in this out of love for our youth. But I have yet to hear a message from a bishop about this. Where is the Church? It pains me to admit that when it comes to our gay youth many Catholic Church leaders have an “I’m not my brothers keeper” attitude. And some are even worse, such as sending out anti-gay DVD’s, refusing communion to gay students, telling people that they aren’t 100% Catholic. Do these people stop to think what this does to young people? Do they even care? Are they so afraid that young gay Catholics will think that they are just as good as everyone else? It is very discouraging to me.