Top 15 Fathers on Film
Jason 'Furious' Styles, 'Boyz N the Hood'
Laurence Fishburne plays Jason "Furious" Styles in a violent neighborhood in South Central Los Angeles where fathers are too often absent. But the aptly named "Furious" is a fierce defender of his son, protecting him but also teaching him to believe in himself. Styles explains, "Any fool...can make a baby, but only a real man can raise his children." The guidance, attention, and example Tre receives from his father are what keep him safe while those around him get caught up in a tragic cycle of drugs and violence. Fishburne's presence and dignity create an indelible portrayal of paternal vigilance.
- Things to Take on a Road Trip
- Hands Free Mama: (A guide to putting down the phone, burning the to-do list and letting go of perfection to grasp what really matters)
- Celebrities Who Improved Themselves in 2012
- 7 African American Firsts: Black Men and Women who Broke Barriers
- Talking to Your Children About Death